• Register Today It's free!

gas cap gurgling sound

ajezior

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer AWD V8 5.0L
Just started hearing my gas cap have a sucking/ gurgling noise throught the gas cap. It does it for 2 second, then stops for 2 seconds and a repeat of that a couple times and after a while it will stop. Fuel pump possibly? Or bad gas cap?

Only one in every 15-20 starts I'll get a bad start, where I will crank and crank but get no start till I turn the key back. Not sure if that pertains to that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would at least change the cap and see if it makes a difference. If air is getting in possibly it could make it hard to start. DON'T count on this as I am not a mechanic. But I do know if a gas cap is loose it can set off the CEL on some cars.

No cel. And have checked the cap to make sure its locked. But ill probably invest the cash. Probably just wait for my next trip to pullandsave

I second the suggestion to replace the gas cap.
However, to comment on this poster, air must enter the tank as the fuel is drawn out, just like you need to let air into the coke bottle when you drink from it. Without this the tank would be crushed by the atmospheric pressure. The fuel pump is submerged in the fuel and does not suck any air.
To the best of my knowledge, all modern gas caps are equipped with some sort of vent-in, one-way valve to let air in without letting fuel vapor to escape.

I would at least change the cap and see if it makes a difference. If air is getting in possibly it could make it hard to start. DON'T count on this as I am not a mechanic. But I do know if a gas cap is loose it can set off the CEL on some cars.

If there's no check engine light or EVAP error code, then the cap is doing its thing. If it's worth it to you to have the noise go away, replace the cap.

I had a lose cap on a fill up, code came on within a day for EVAP. Attendant never snapped it in place. Took a few days for the light to go out by itself after it was corrected.

I second the suggestion to replace the gas cap.
However, to comment on this poster, air must enter the tank as the fuel is drawn out, just like you need to let air into the coke bottle when you drink from it. Without this the tank would be crushed by the atmospheric pressure. The fuel pump is submerged in the fuel and does not suck any air.
To the best of my knowledge, all modern gas caps are equipped with some sort of vent-in, one-way valve to let air in without letting fuel vapor to escape.
Yeah what you said. I forgot it would need to let air in. I once had a Station wagon vapor lock on me and a guy told me to loosen the gas cap. I did and the car was off and running again.

my 99 5.0 is doing the same thing as of late. Also last time I had it smogged they did say that my evap system showed "not ready" let me know how the new gas cap worked for you.

Back