• Register Today It's free!

Gas Mileage - 1994 4x4 XLT V6?

Chris_94

Reaction score
City, State
Arvada, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 4x4 XLT V6
My wifes Explorer seams like it doesn't get very good gas mileage. But we haven't owned this vehicle very long, so I'm not sure what to expect. It's a 1994 XLT 4-door with the 4.0L V6 engine. 4spd automatic trans. 170xxx miles. Power windows and A/C

It runs smooth. It has decent power, for a V6 in this heavy vehicle. I've checked the mileage. Split city/hwy driving it gets 13mpg. On the hwy it gets about 15-16mpg depending on head winds and cross winds.

Is that normal for this vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wifes Explorer seams like it doesn't get very good gas mileage. But we haven't owned this vehicle very long, so I'm not sure what to expect. It's a 1994 XLT 4-door with the 4.0L V6 engine. 4spd automatic trans. 170xxx miles. Power windows and A/C

It runs smooth. It has decent power, for a V6 in this heavy vehicle. I've checked the mileage. Split city/hwy driving it gets 13mpg. On the hwy it gets about 15-16mpg depending on head winds and cross winds.

Is that normal for this vehicle?

Not bad....change your plugs and wires and you will more then likely see a 1-2 mpg increase,run 35psi in your tires.

Next step if you feel like it is to install a KKM air filter and a less restrictive muffler,I ended up at 19+ mpg on the road this way and 16.5 around town.Many will dispute that but I invite them to drive it,made a big difference.:D

If you have a GPS with the eco setting you can save some just watching your speeds and how you take off.It just allows you to see what you are doing(acceleration-decel) based on time and distance,it helps to be able to see the difference instantly.;)

Thanks. Tires are heavy duty and the manufacturer recommends 50psi. It beats the heck out of the truck with 50psi in the tires, so I dropped the pressure to 40psi.

I'll do a tune up.

A tune up is a great idea plugs wires and air filter are quick easy way to gain 2-4 mpg. The muffler swap is another great way to gain 5+ mpg. I did mine a couple months ago and it is like driving a completely different truck. You can get a good muffler for around $60 and have it swapped in no time at all. When I did mine I replaced everything from the cat back but just doing the muffler is just fine. Before my tune up and muffler swap I was getting 210 to 255 mpg tops and now I am getting 300-315 easy. Thats a huge difference and a lot easier on the wallet. Good luck!!!

A tune up is a great idea plugs wires and air filter are quick easy way to gain 2-4 mpg. The muffler swap is another great way to gain 5+ mpg. I did mine a couple months ago and it is like driving a completely different truck. You can get a good muffler for around $60 and have it swapped in no time at all. When I did mine I replaced everything from the cat back but just doing the muffler is just fine. Before my tune up and muffler swap I was getting 210 to 255 mpg tops and now I am getting 300-315 easy. Thats a huge difference and a lot easier on the wallet. Good luck!!!

I'm thinking there must be some typos in your posted fuel mileage.

Is there a special muffler that I should get? Or just any aftermarket muffler? I'm new to these vehicles, so I have no idea where to get all the best parts. I'm not willing to spend thousands to increase the fuel mileage, but a few hundred will surely pay off in savings at the pump.

Where do I find the cold air intake? Muffler? Got any links or can someone name a website and I'll google it?

Thank you for helping me. :salute:

Chris- No typo I gained 75+ miles a TANK 225ish to 300ish. I will link to the muffler I used. I cut the entire system off leaving about 6 to 8 inches of pipe coming out of the catalytic converter. I used JB weld the appropriate clamps and couplings and pipe. I used a generous amount of JB weld at the joints which is probably unnecessary but did it. I also bought all new hangars as it was easier than trying to make the new fit exactly as the old did. The main mileage gain was with going from 2 1/4 in pipe to 2 1/2 in pipe from the new muffler back. Mine was completely rusted out so it was necessary to replace everything but yours may be fine and you can replace the muffler alone. Oil change transmission oil filter change (is not necessary but good maintenance if you dont know if its ever been done) plugs wires muffler and an air filter and watch the mpg's grow.

Chris- No typo I gained 75+ miles a TANK 225ish to 300ish. I will link to the muffler I used. I cut the entire system off leaving about 6 to 8 inches of pipe coming out of the catalytic converter. I used JB weld the appropriate clamps and couplings and pipe. I used a generous amount of JB weld at the joints which is probably unnecessary but did it. I also bought all new hangars as it was easier than trying to make the new fit exactly as the old did. The main mileage gain was with going from 2 1/4 in pipe to 2 1/2 in pipe from the new muffler back. Mine was completely rusted out so it was necessary to replace everything but yours may be fine and you can replace the muffler alone. Oil change transmission oil filter change (is not necessary but good maintenance if you dont know if its ever been done) plugs wires muffler and an air filter and watch the mpg's grow.

I thought you said MPG not miles per TANK in your first post. I thought you had missed a decimal point and meant that you were getting 30.0 -- 31.5 mpg - which would have been STAGGERING. :eek:

I now understand that you were talking about the total miles driven per tank of fuel. ;)

So is it that specific muffler or can a guy use any aftermarket muffler?

Thanks again!!

Chris- You can use any aftermarket muffler you want. All the parts stores have plenty to choose from. If your willing to spend a little more buy your muffler and take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it in. I chose to do it my self and save the money and do it myself with near same results.

I'm running a "dronemaster" with 2 1/2" pipe from the cat back. I fabbed my own intake from various parts. I run 35psi in my tires, and motorcraft plugs and wires.

I went from 14 in town to 16 after the plug & wire change, the intake and muffler/ pipe upgrade gave me about 1.5mpg increase.

The latest tallys are 287 in town and 350 on highway (I didn't push it since I was in middle of no where at night) translates to 17.5 city 21.5 hwy.

When I changed my muffler I really didn't see any change at all :( I used
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17415/
maybe it restricted the exhaust a little?
The best I've ever seen on hwy was 20mpg but city I only ever get around 12 :(
I have motorcraft plugs the wires I have should be good, resistance values are low and I changed the air filter recently.
I heard flushing the diff will get a few mpg back is that true?
I've been driving like a grandma lately to save gas too

Corik- The muffler you installed should have gained a few mpg's but if you kept the 2 1/4 inch pipe you wouldn't see much. The larger pipe diameter allows for more exhaust flow and less restrictions = more mpg. I have never heard of swapping diff oil helping but I guess it could if yours is really old and gunked up. A transmission filter fluid change and an oil change with a synthetic blend should gain you a few as well.

yah that intermediate pipe was only 2'' but after the muffler was the correct pipe size. last oil change I went to Motorcraft synthetic blend. how often should tranny fluid and filter be changed?
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread...

yah that intermediate pipe was only 2'' but after the muffler was the correct pipe size. last oil change I went to Motorcraft synthetic blend. how often should tranny fluid and filter be changed?
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread...

For the price of plug wires,change them.Tranny flush every 50,000 should be fine unless you are running the daylights out of it.:D

13-16 mpg is low, but if you're due for a tuneup than that should help. Heavy duty tires are probably not the best for fuel efficiency either.

You might gain a tiny bit with an air intake but I doubt more than a couple percent. Synthetic oils and gear lubes will help more than the air intake. Unless your rig burns or leaks a lot, there's no reason not to use synthetic - the change interval is longer, it protects moving parts far better, and it provides better fuel efficiency.

And not to be argumentative but there's no way a muffler will gain you 75 miles to a tank, or 5+ mpg. Maybe a couple percentage points. If you're existing muffler isn't clogged or rusted out, leave it alone.

Former owner of 94 Explorer.

Bought first day it was 7 mpg that was drive 55 mph highway with black smoke pour out exhaust.

New MAF sensor did huge impact on mileage
Oxygen sensor
alignment
brake adjust to make sure it wasn't drag badly. Rear brake was worst drag.
Tune up
remove roof rack
Manual hubs since auto hub stuck in 4wd.
Replace muffler and gut cat convertor due previous owner who drive with extremely rich engine cause clogged. After all stuff I did it only bought me 15 mpg by drive so slow. Remove cat it BAM 20 mpg city. NOT JOKE 5 mpg huge improve. On other thing my transmission is cooler due no cat convertor heat it.

13-16 mpg is low, but if you're due for a tuneup than that should help. Heavy duty tires are probably not the best for fuel efficiency either.

You might gain a tiny bit with an air intake but I doubt more than a couple percent. Synthetic oils and gear lubes will help more than the air intake. Unless your rig burns or leaks a lot, there's no reason not to use synthetic - the change interval is longer, it protects moving parts far better, and it provides better fuel efficiency.

And not to be argumentative but there's no way a muffler will gain you 75 miles to a tank, or 5+ mpg. Maybe a couple percentage points. If you're existing muffler isn't clogged or rusted out, leave it alone.

I find that the stock mufflers are very restrictive,as I stated earlier I invite anyone to drive my 94 to see the difference a KKM,muffler,plugs and wires made.It really made a big difference.You also have to remember how heavy these trucks are,it is a series of small improvements that add up .:D

Thank you safn1949. It was everything I did as well that added up to a huge improvement in gas mileage. And yes it was 75 miles per tank. The 20 year old stock muffler was extremely restrictive and if it wasn't for all the rust holes in it would have been it even worse. A transmission fluid change, oil change to a synthetic blend, plugs and wires, air filter and ran a can of sea foam through all contributed to the improvement so it wasn't just a muffler.

Yep,I use BG 44K to clean my injectors and although a bit pricey ($25 a can) it works very well.My muffler blew out on the way back from Moab so I had a new one and a tailpipe put on.It ran about the same or a little less and then I did all of the above at once including replacing the less then year old muffler....wow,what a boost.

Mind you if you have other problems or the engine is just plain tired you will not see as much or any improvement.I am going to change plugs again as these have 30,000+ on them and maybe replace O2 sensors,MAF has been replaced when it failed.:D

Look at an engine as just a big air pump...air in,air(exhaust) out. Get rid of the restrictions and burn the fuel more efficiently and there you go.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at an engine as just a big air pump...air in,air(exhaust) out. Get rid of the restrictions and burn the fuel more efficiently and there you go.

Thats one way to look at it and the biggest reason just swapping the muffler won't get the best results. To allow the muffler to work best you need a larger tail pipe to allow as much exhaust out as possible. I think all 1st gens come stock with 2 1/4 in pipe so upgrading to a 2 1/2 in will = better results. The larger the pipe the better results.

Back