Gas Mileage: Real Numbers: FYI

islandtrader

Reaction score
City, State
sw fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 xlt
The facts.

2007 Explorer 2wd, V-6, 65,000k on clock.

Just came back from a round trip of approx. 2200 miles. 95% of it was driven on interstate and at a average speed via gps of 60 mph. Meaning I was pushing 75 for the most part.

I cleared my mileage calculator at the start. When I got home it was reading 20.5 mpg. That checked out by doing it the old fashion way of adding up the gallons in and the miles driven.

Anyway this is a FYI only.

Stock tires and air cleaner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've only used the MPG average digital readout but mine runs 17.5 locally and 20-21 long distance interstate. It's some less in the winter. All stock. From what I've read that's good.

You should both be thrilled !! MPG's are not the Sport Tracs strong point !!

at my hypermiling best, with my ST completely stock except for the KN intake and magnaflow exhaust, i pulled off 550 miles on one tank. that equals 27.5 MPG. it was all freeway driving mind you, and i was about 5 minutes late everywhere i was going. right now with my roof rack, tow hooks, billet grill and aftermarket wheels i can still get into the mid 400's on one tank. its all about driving slow.

I used to get that kind of mileage but since I added Truxx, 265 mud tires, roof rack and extra weight to the truck, I've lost 5 mpg.
If I slow down, mileage gets much better - I'm pushing a heavy brick through the air on non-efficient tires.

The facts.

2007 Explorer 2wd, V-6, 65,000k on clock.

Just came back from a round trip of approx. 2200 miles. 95% of it was driven on interstate and at a average speed via gps of 60 mph. Meaning I was pushing 75 for the most part.

I cleared my mileage calculator at the start. When I got home it was reading 20.5 mpg. That checked out by doing it the old fashion way of adding up the gallons in and the miles driven.

Anyway this is a FYI only.

Stock tires and air cleaner.

I get about the same, sometimes better, in my 4x4. We just drove from Pittsburgh to sw FL three weeks ago, at a steady 75 mph we got 18.8 mpg for the trip and that's with a lot of hills in WV and VA. Mine has a cat-back exhaust, I've seen as high as 23 mpg on a highway trip at a steady 65 mph (in sw FL where it's flat). Also I keep my tires at 38 psi.

yeah, if i know im going deep ill pump my tires up to about 38 psi, but it will wear your tires out prematurely so i dont do it too much. plus going too much over spec can be dangerous.

Just got home from a 520 mile round trip to Syracuse NY and back to central CT with the Sport Trac (4.6 L) and turned in 19.8 mpg overall. Some city driving while I was up there brought it down a little, but I know I was averaging at least 20 mpg on the highway portions. 19.9 mpg on the way up on the interstate, 18.2 mpg when I started the return and climbed out of the truck with it showing 19.8 at the destination.

Guessing that when I put on the Truxx lift and some 265's this fall those numbers will be a happy memory. Maybe a cat back and a K&N will minimize the drop off?

wow thats nice my 1996 xlt control trac 4wd gets 15 in city and 20-22 on highway.....

My 08 4.6 STA will get 25-27 on flat highway driving without cruise control. It likes 62-65 mph. Seems like the RPM is about 1600-1700. In town it will drop considerably. Modifications, K&N FIPK,modified throttle body, Gibson 3'' exhaust, 275/55-20 Michelin LTX M/S Tires at 36lbs. The speedometer was reclibrated for the oversized tires, which would put the final drive ratio to about 3.31 from the 3.55 with the original tires.

I have a bone stock 07 xlt 4.0 2wd, oem size tires, no mods other than a tonneau cover (abs plastic) and removed the cross bars on the roof rack. The onboard mpg indicator says I get 18-19mpg in urban driving, but actual calculator says 16.5 mpg. The oem display is always about 1.5mpg over actual, even tho I have oem size tires, etc.,

Maybe a cat back and a K&N will minimize the drop off?

I've had K&N's in a couple of my trucks and never saw a difference in MPG from the filter alone. Had the Trac to the dealer a few weeks ago over the tranny shifting funny, they reflashed it and told me oil from the K&N had fragged the MAF sensor which was f'ing up the signals to the tranny. I'm playing along for now and let them clean the MAF and put a Motorcraft filter in, no difference in MPG.

On a Gen 2 Trac the stock airbox simply isn't very restrictive.

Took a trip up to Yosemite last week. Had a 300 mile stretch of flat highway. Filled up at the base of the grapevine and refilled before the incline.
I got behind the slowest tractor trailer in the road, top speed was 58 averaged 55. On my refill the mileage displayed on the dash was confirmed with the gas in vs miles driven 25 mpg. On my return I refilled and started again, this time it was in daylight. MPG 28. Not sure if the 3 mpg was due to the headlights or the cool foggy night.

A few days later I had to drive up the coast, not a flat piece of highway at all. I got behind a slow tractor trailer. 24 mpg up the coast, 21 on the return. I did encounter a lot of traffic jams on the return.

When I bought the Sport Trac the truck could be heard "look at what I can do!" 4 years later the old boy still has a lot to show me.

Stock truck, original tires. 30,000 miles.

'10 STA 18k, I average about 15.2 MPG. Mixture of highway and curving backroads to work. I have a K&N intake Kit and Flowmaster catback.

Back