• Register Today It's free!

calculating gas mileage

sagman82

Reaction score
City, State
Saltsburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
General question about calculating gas mileage... I've seen a bunch threads where people say there city/highway gas mileage. But the standard formula for calculated gas mileage is the AVERAGE of the two. Regardless if you stay in city limits or live on the highway, gas mileage is still the average of all your miles run divided by total gallons to fill up. Just something i recently noticed, anybody agree? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats what I do to find my mileage take miles divided by how many gallons it takes to fill up.

sagman82 said:
General question about calculating gas mileage... I've seen a bunch threads where people say there city/highway gas mileage. But the standard formula for calculated gas mileage is the AVERAGE of the two. Regardless if you stay in city limits or live on the highway, gas mileage is still the average of all your miles run divided by total gallons to fill up. Just something i recently noticed, anybody agree? Thanks

When we say 'city' or 'highway' it usually means most of the driving for that tank of gas was 'stop and go' if we take a trip, (especially Aldive) we can burn through a couple tanks of gas and the only driving other than highway speed was the start and stop when getting gas.

Aldive and I hav even been logging our moving average speed determined by GPS. My 'city' driving average speed is right around 22mph. Add some short hops on and offf the freeway and it goes up less than 5mph. My highway average on our yearly trip from Seattle to North Dakota is 60mph. That includes fuel stops, rest stops and food stops.

sagman82 said:

Wonder why the manufacturers put a "city" mileage and a "highway" mileage on the window sticker?

who knows... but i can atleast understand manufactures reasoning for saying city/highway... they are providing some info about the car's mileage provided by engineers. But the average joe that does the "full tank fill up" mileage test only knows the AVERAGE of city/highway. My 2 cents... starting saying one gas mileage average, not city/highway.

Unless you take a trip that involve all highway driving... Then you can get a true 'highway' mileage.

Back