Gas mileage. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas mileage.

'93 2wd Sport with 255/70 15 tires, M5R1 5-speed transmission, and a big hole in my muffler:

Changing gears @ 2000 RPM and mostly highway: 19.8x MPG
Changing gears @ 2500 RPM and mostly city: 17.xx MPG

My best was 24MPG on a completely highway trip once.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOLZ! i tend to have a lead foot too and mines a 4x4 so...yeah i drive mixed on daily commute. how much will a 2.5" exhaust plus flowmaster and a k&n boost mpg????

I went from 14 to 15 mpg stock cat muffler and air cleaner. 373 gears 150,000 plus miles and about 235lt 75r 15 tires. Now with the more open pipes and a K&N filter same gearing and tires I get between 17 and 18 mpg.
Now the k&N along I know gave me 1.5 mpg alone. I replace the fram filter with the K&N next day left on a 1,400 mile trip and track mileage for the whole thing. The ingress in mpg alone paid for the filter on that trip already so that alone made me happy. I can not say for sure on the pipes as I did not track things at the time that close but I did see a gain on the same long trip. Now this trip was done many times over a year it was from flat lands over mountains and back. From almost sea level to 8,000 ft high or better. If any one wants to map it out just call it 100 mile south of Sacramento Calif. to Boise Idao and back this was by whys 99,5,80,95,55,84. From flat to steep climbs and lots of up and downs with some windy roads so it is a good mix but not a flat run for best mpg. But no problem with power.

Mine averages about 19 mpg, mixed driving, commute mostly highway. She has the 5-speed manual trans, 3.27 gears, stock tire size Michelin LTX/MS, K&N air filter and Borla exhaust.

Oh, and 223,000 miles on the clock.

Bob

OK so I checked it for sure yesterday and I'm got 16.89mpg on the last tank but really I'm not really concerned about gas anymore since it's a buck 63 where I get it.

i figured up about 18 as what i get! so i think im doing pretty good.

I have been checking mine for a few weeks now and I'm only getting 11.5 average. :(

I used to get 18 on the highway and about 15 in town. Now it is about 15 on the highway and 12 in town. I figure the slipping torque converter isn't helping anything

Something is amiss.

i agree with al....you should be getting around 16-17 mpg ....better check things under the hood .

if i drive mine really hard the lowest i'll get is 17 ...the best i have ever got was 24 but it takes alot to get that i useally hover around 22 and thats just easy take offs and not trying to pass people on the road when ever possible.

My stock 94 XLT 4X4 with 95K gets a pretty solid 15 in mixed driving. Do not use 4X4 much, only if needed to get to the end of the trail. Not sure what gears I have yet, need to check the code in the vin number. 20 MPG would be awesome.

Something is amiss.

any tips on what to look for?? It is stock except for 31x10.5's. It seems to be running fine lots of power on take-off, smooth idle ect. shifts at 2500

On my '94 XLT (stock except 30 x 9.50's) going by the odometer it gets a good solid 14, now if you adjust for the tires (tire size calculator says my speedo is off 10%) then that adjusts to 15.4

Where is the big inefficiency in the 1st gens? Intake? Exhaust? Just a big vehicle with a v-6?

My O2 sensors are rusted in the y pipe so I know that's not helping (can't change them) I'm getting a CEL after the truck warms up but it runs/idles nicely.

What kind of truck is yours? I have a 2wd 2002 Sport with 3.73 gears and 31x10.5's and I get about 14 miles to the gallon.

whose? mine?

I think he was talking to Shaggy433 since they have the same tire size.

I do pretty much all city driving. My drive is usually less than 10 miles. Last I checked it was 13mpg and its stock. Gas millage isn't my concern (I haven't driven it in 4 days now). I just pray that it starts when I need it to.

mines a 94 eb 4x4 3.27 open rearend

92 sploder 2wd, 5sp. 3.73 and 14mpg winter:mad: and 19-20 summer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure something's amiss with mine too, on a good day with a tail wind, i can get 13 hwy. average 9-11... Same size tires as stocks, 94 XLT 4x4. The fuel pump whines when it warms up, but it gets gas, it's slow to accelerate. (like, foot down to the floor takes about 30-40 seconds to get to 60...) But doesn't overheat (actually put a 185deg t-stat into it so it's blatently obvious when it does try to)

Back