Gas mileage

LaurenceS

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Hi all,

I just bought a '99 Sport w/ 4.0L OHV automatic transmissions about 2 weeks ago. O.K., I know there's a huge diff. between my previous vehicle which was a '91 Isuzu Trooper w/ a 2.8 and a 23gal tank in it compared to a 4.0 with a 17.3 gal tank, but I noticed that I'm not getting very good gas mileage. We're only talking around 12mpg. I've been putting 87 octane in it since I've had it, and they changed the oil at the dealership that I bought it from too. My dad's wife has a 2002 Sport, and she pretty much gets the same kind of mileage when city driving too. What can I do to improve this? I've been looking at the K & N FIPK as well as the KKM induction kit, but I'm a computer guy, and not so much a car guy.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Laurence

How many miles are on it? If its over 50K you might consider a tune-up (plugs and wires), canging the O2 sensors and combine the KKM/K&N with a decent aftermarket peformance muffler (Flowmaster, Dynomax, etc...).

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I really appreciate it, and I'm stoked that you're a professional as well. It's got 46K on it. I had to fill up this morning, so I put 92 in and threw a Fuel injector cleaner in as well to see if that helps. With regards to your other suggestions below, I've seen mixed reviews about the K & N as opposed to the KKM. There is also a fairly obvious price difference as well. The KKM is quite a bit less expensive. What's your take on this? Also, It's quite apparent you have a heck of a lot more experience in these matters than I do. Do you prefer the Flowmaster over the Dynomax, or are the comparable quality and performance wise? I've seen stuff about Flowmaster on Speedvision, but I am definitely not the most knowledgeable on matters automotive. I'll get a tune up regardless and have them check the plugs, wires, and O2 sensors regardless. I know after chatting with the dealer, they did not tune it up prior to putting it on the lot. They only changed the oil.

Thanks again,

Laurence

Back