• Register Today It's free!

Gas mileage

914x4sport

Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4 sport
As you all know these trucks suck gas...what can I do to improve my mileage? I know a k&n kit will improve power but does that neccessarily improve mileage too? Also what about plugs? AHHH!!! GAS COST TOO MUCH...GAS BAD...NEED TO USE LESS!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last fill-up I got 19.7 mpg, most of my driving is at 50 mph range..I have 91 sport with jet chip and 70mm Mas..What are you getting?

it cant be as bad as what i get. i get around 10-11 mpg on my explorer. i just got a tune up ad it hasnt helped. plus during the summer i tow a 4000lb boat.. and on top of that i got 80000 miles on it and its a 98......one more thing. im in college..shouldnt that money im wasting on gas go to books.....and maybe a whole lot of beer ?

Somethings not right Pemerling, With a bad fuel pressure reg, and dead o2 I was getting 13.

I guess Im getting about the same as you mdrut. I normally drive around 65-70, so it goes quick. I have to do alot of highway driving.probably 18-20mpg at best...

Originally posted by mdrut
Somethings not right Pemerling, With a bad fuel pressure reg, and dead o2 I was getting 13.
Yeah but hes runnin a V-8 MDrut.....

Sorry..I wasn't paying attention to detail...Not sure what the milage should be for a V-8 Explorer..I have a built 302 in a pick-up and it gets between 5 & 7..Need I say ,I don't drive it much..

Besides the 02 sensor and the fuel pressure regulator, what else can be checked to improve the gas mileage?

THANKS
X-Man

Try Switching Gas

1) Not all gas stations are created equal. In our area, they change the mixture in the gas inthe winter time and my mileage goes down. But when I switched to Texaco Gas, I started getting an average of 30 more miles to my tank. Also there is a Mobile station near me that gives me even beter mileage, but its more expensive.

2) Drive slower :) lol

3) Fill your tank to the brim if your worried about how much mileage you get out of each tank.

Just a suggestion :) It worked for me!

Oh BTW, I get about 12-13 mpg w/ Texaco. Getting approx 220 per tank for a sport w/ 17.5 gallon tank (V6)

[Edited by Frisckey1 on 01-24-2001 at 12:17 PM]

Originally posted by 914x4sport
I guess Im getting about the same as you mdrut. I normally drive around 65-70, so it goes quick. I have to do alot of highway driving.probably 18-20mpg at best...
At 70mph that's decent mileage. Our vehicles have the aerodynamics of a parachute, you're pushing a lot of air pressure at that speed. If you could drive 55 it would add 3 or 4mpg.

A way to get an immediate 10%+ raise in mpg is to go all synthetic.

[Edited by GJarrett on 01-24-2001 at 12:31 PM]

Thanks GJarret..Im changing my oil and filters tomorrow..I'll try out the synthetics..By the way, will I get better milealge with premium or regular grade gas. I had the impression that premium gave you more power but burned quicker...Is that the stupidest thing youve ever heard or does it make any sense at all..
Thanks

I'm taking my truck in for service this weekend, is there any thing I can have them check to get my gas mailage back to where it was? the driving slow and other tips you gave will help after I start getting good gas milage again. It hasn't been in for service in about 7 months and the gas mileage is dropping, so I thought i'd have them check the 02 sensor and the fuel pressure regulator, anything thing else?

Thanks
X-Man

How do you go about checking/testing your FPR?

well I'm going to the dealer so hopefully they know something.

X-Man

the way that i understand it(or maybe just my belief) is that by "unlocking" horsepower already there (better flowing intake/exhaust) you will increase the gas milage also. is this true or am i just thinkin crazy stuff up again...kinda happens alot so it wouldnt surprise me.

I remember see and reply to this sometime back, but anyway, two ways to check FPR..Vacuum gauge..Don't have so, Follow the vacuum out of the fpr around the back off the intake to the juction on the lower side so the intake..carefully remove and check for dampness(fuel) if damp the diaphram is bad, if there is no fuel present, it can still be bad. They have a tendency to "freeze" up, this is what mine did..Symtoms include poor gas milage, black smoke, smutty tail pipe, rough idle, and did I say poor gas milage, lack of power..My gas mileage dropped to 10-12 and the truck didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way..Hope this helps..

Originally posted by tac0meat
the way that i understand it(or maybe just my belief) is that by "unlocking" horsepower already there (better flowing intake/exhaust) you will increase the gas milage also. is this true or am i just thinkin crazy stuff up again...kinda happens alot so it wouldnt surprise me.

Check the threads on this site about the Mass Airflow Sensor and cleaning. If it hasn't been serviced for quite a while, it will drag your mileage down.

well I went to the dealer and I was told, "if the sensors or fuel pressure regulator was bad the check engine light would come on, but that doesn't mean they are good they could put it on the machine to check them that will cost $75" So I didn't get it done, I'll try this other place today, they are much cheaper.

X-Man

I don't know if anyone said this but I'm gonna say it anyway. Have your tire pressure checked! I remember I read something about this. When your tire lose a pound of air, you'll have a 10% decrease in your gas mileage. I hope I'm right but if I'm wrong, don't hesitate to correct me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey guys mine is pretty bad too. Im getting about 10 mpg. I dont know whats going on. (by the way this site is WAY cool)

I just replaced the t stat and the sensor and that got my temperature back up to normal which increases the milage A TINY BIT. but still... how much are 02 sensors? a bad FPR?

Back