• Register Today It's free!

Gas pedal bracket

palallin

Reaction score
City, State
Middle 'o Everyhere, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT AWD
Had an interesting experience a coupla months ago.

After laoding up the gorceries, i was leaving the parking lot to go home when the gas pedal "disappeared." My foot was on it, and then there was nothing there. :eek:

I pulled over to the side of the street and got out; I looked in at the floor under the dash, and the pedal was dangling from its cable. The bracket had broken off the inside of the firewall. :mad: I sort of wedged it into place and limped home.

When I got home, I looked more closely: the bracket--a U-shaped, sheet metal wedge--had been spot welded to the firewall, but the welds had all broken. But I discovered that the bracket had two holes in it between the three weld spots.

Under the hood, I could find the the weld spots and saw nothing on the other side. So I grabbed a drill and punched a dimple in between two welds (ont he inside) and drilled out. I used a 5/16" bolt to hold the bracket in place and drilled a second hole. A second 5/16" bolt finished the job.

That bracket will not come off again!

:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, it's happened a bit around here on other rigs as well... Glad you got it fixed up!

Well this is kind of scary...

Wasn't there a TSB or recall for some years on this?

There was a TSB, but no safety recall. Mine broke about 300 miles from home; had to drive back (luckily almost all interstate) using the cruise control to speed up/slow down. Fixed it the same way OP did; this was several years ago and no problem since.

Back