• Register Today It's free!

Gas smell, and hard cold starts

EMG7895

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt, 93
Recently I have a strong smell of gas coming from what seems like the rear by the gas tank, I also have hard starting when cold, it cranks for way longer than normal. I have found it doesnt crank as long the longer you wait before you start, but still longer than normal. I have read that it may be the sending unit rusting out. Does this seem like the cause? The fuel pump was replaced in 97, with 45000 miles on it because of a similar fuel smell, now with 137k its back. What brands of fuel pumps are reccommended and what ones should I stay away from? Any thing else that will probably have to be replaced when I drop the tank?

It might be a bad ECT flooding the engine.
41928895.gif

ECT was replaced a few months ago. New IAC, plugs, wires, and fuel filter in the last 8 months also. If starts up fine if you let it sit in the on position before starting, and it definitly smells very strongly like a raw fuel leak, although I havent seen any puddles. I also reset the computer when I replaced the trans modulator a few days ago and it ran rich for a little while, but this is a different smell that is there even when its not running.

Back