Gas Spill

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
Hi I was carrying my lawn mowers and a bunch of gas spilled in the back of my 96 X. what should i do? is ripping out the carpet an option. its smelling bad, will it all go away eventually?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats a really, really hard smell to get rid of. I'd take it to a professional detailer and let him do it, or rent a carpet shampooer and shampoo the whole cargo area with it, then let the truck air with the windows open.

Thats why you should buy a hard cargo cover if you're going to haul things like that.

it's not that hard to take out the carpet. people do it all the time to dynamat the interior. just remove all the plastic panels from the back, and you'll see how to take it out. it's better to take it out and wash it (a few times) to get the smell out.

with a couple of applicants of car cleaner the smell is mostly gone. but the carpet rippled and i am wondering how i am going to straighten it out

I have three layers of carpet in my cargo area because of that reason. My original carpet really does not look that great anymore but I have a nice rug put down on top of it that looks great! When I used to haul my dad's lawnmower around I would just put the carpet upside down.

To get that smell out try sticking some baking soda in the carpet overnight and vacumm it out the next day. Leave the windows up and it should suck that smell out. If you gotta haul gas a lot, try ripping the carpet out and putting some herculiner back there.

i've never had problems like this in year, MOST of the smell has gone but the carpet like wrinkled a whole bunch i might put that baking soda to do the job tonight

Just do what like they do in bathrooms... Light a match.LOL!

Back