Gas to use in ST

Can I use 87 Octane fuel?

• Best fuel to use

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Will 87 run OK

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters
Peter

I stopped at my local Esso station tonight, and after looking at this thread I decided to look at
the cost difference from 87 to 91
87 $1.08.9 cnd
91 $1.33.9 cnd

So around $1.04 cnd per US gallon difference :mad::(

Brian
For some reason the differences seem to vary. I use Petro-Canada exclusively because I can get a 13 cent/L discount every time I fill up. I'm guessing the tank currently has some 87 octane in it since the dealer filled it up.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.................. Strange that the ford press release on the Explorer gives the nod to 87*.
They are probably also taking into account that is the recommended octane as per the Manual.

Peter

While we are on the subject of gas, Dorman products have an emergency fuel funnel designed specifically for the Caples Fuel Fille. The part number is 55406.
Identical to the Ford filler. Evidently Dorman sources from the same supplier.

I have never owned any forced induction vehicle that I've ran on 87.

Won't change that.

I think the Poll is a little confusing. The Explorer will run fine on the factory recommended 87 octane. I don't really understand "Best fuel to use". Perhaps the poll should have asked members which octane they are actually using.

Peter

I think the Poll is a little confusing. The Explorer will run fine on the factory recommended 87 octane. I don't really understand "Best fuel to use". Perhaps the poll should have asked members which octane they are actually using.

Peter

Because the vehicles are designed to run on premium. Just because the engine will adjust timing to compensate for the 87 fuel does not mean it is the best for it. Add in humidity and heat in the summer or higher elevations and that plays a bigger effect on running 87.

Yes you can say Ford recommends it but it's a marketing ploy. They say it to avoid saying you need to put premium in every EcoBoost engine which would affect sales.

Because the vehicles are designed to run on premium. Just because the engine will adjust timing to compensate for the 87 fuel does not mean it is the best for it. Add in humidity and heat in the summer or higher elevations and that plays a bigger effect on running 87.

Yes you can say Ford recommends it but it's a marketing ploy. They say it to avoid saying you need to put premium in every EcoBoost engine which would affect sales.
I'm aware that premium is better for the Ecoboost. I use 91 octane but it will still run ok on 87 even if it's not the best to use. That is all the Poll asks "Will 87 run ok". And it will.

Peter

Peter
It will run fine .............. Longe enough to get one where premium can be purchased. Here in the US, it is a federal requirement that all gasoline-powered vehicles must be capable of running on 87 oct for limited periods. Even a high compression engine such as H-D uses will run on regular gas. In the long term, internal damage becomes a cancerous growth.

I'm aware that premium is better for the Ecoboost. I use 91 octanes but it will still run ok on 87 even if it's not the best to use. That is all the Poll asks "Will 87 run ok". And it will.

Peter
Sadly, some will accept that as gospel and read no further. There should be a qualifier for such polls IMHO.

Of interesting note is that in one of its recent, real-world tests of the ST, C&D discovered a full, dyno-proven 20 hp gain when using 93 oct fuel vs 87 oct. The TQ increased too. I'll gladly pay the .50 gal difference. For me, it is a life or death issue.
Having the ability to outrun my ex-wife on her broom is a no brainer IMHO.
1585017321003.png

Of interesting note is that in one of its recent, real-world tests of the ST, C&D discovered a full, dyno-proven 20 hp gain when using 93 oct fuel vs 87 oct. The TQ increased too. I'll gladly pay the .50 gal difference. For me, it is a life or death issue.
Having the ability to outrun my ex-wife on her broom is a no brainer IMHO.
View attachment 179560
In my area it's 20 cents difference per gallon. So it's not worth going with the lower octane. I bought the ST to enjoy as my dad mobile. A few bucks here and there is not something I'm worried about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't been out much lately to check the prices but figure using 93 instead of 87 will cost about an extra $14 or so a tank here. I'm happy with the 91 I'm using and don't need any extra HP. With the provincial closure of non-essential businesses/services beginning tomorrow, I figure the fuel I have now will likely last me at least 2 or 3 months

Peter

Back