gasket matching upper and lower intakes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gasket matching upper and lower intakes?

srvblues00

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport / 88 Turbo Stang
i am going be to gasket matching my upper and lower intakes soon on my 94 sport. i am taking the intakes off to replace the gasket between the block and lower. Do you think i'll see any noticeable performance gain by gasket matching these? i was also planning on porting them the best I can. any tips on this? i believe i've heard to use a carbide grinding wheel. i will be using a dremel style tool that is adjustable from 8000 rpm to 28,000 rpm. what speed is best? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gasket matching in a stock motor isn't going to amount to much. There are so many other areas that need to be addressed before we start seeing much in the way of gain from this sort of modification.

The relationship between port volume, port velocity, cam timing, throttle body capacity (Jeez, how many things did I miss?) are all interdependent. Doing the wrong thing can kill what you had in the RPM range you need.

Having said that, I can't see it hurting your stock set-up but it very well may affect any other mods you make down the road. Planning your performance package well (pay close attention to your eventual goals and make sure that they are realistic) and sticking to the game plan will reap benefits that you can't imagine.

As for the "porting".... work slowly and methodically - you can't grind this stuff back on. Be patient, very, very patient - getting in a rush will almost assure a doomed project.

Good luck....

Jimmiecakes, good points there.. I agree, I don't think it will amount to all that much in a completely stock engine, but I eventually am hoping to stick a KKM filter setup on there as well as something in the exhaust dept. I think it would benefit me more on down the road after those mods than it will right now. thanks for the input!

A cam would probably be a better option than porting. It would also probaly be cheaper and definetely easier.

well, i am going ot have spare intakes, so i can play take my time and work on them for as long i want/need to without my truck being parked, so i figure why not. plus doesn't a cam swap requre pulling the engine on the OHV? gasket matching is a cheap option for me at the moment, and i've been wanting to do this for the experience for a while now. i agree, there's a lot of other stuff i could do that would do more for me, but right now this is about the most practical for me.

Oh I see. That is what we did with a stock set of heads while they was laying around in the garage. Just make sure not to mess up the velocity of the airflow when you do it. Good luck.

Back