Gauges, radio, interior lights issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gauges, radio, interior lights issue.

05ST

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 4x4
I've searched the threads for this and only found 1 that was close to my issue, so it wasn't much help.

So here's what happens.... 90% of the time when I start my 05 trac the guages will not work, the yellow engine light is on and the odo reads "- - - - - - - - -". Sometimes it will all start working again and eng. light goes off, other times I can tap the plastic covering the guages and it'll work. Sometimes while driving, the guages will go haywire and the needles will go up and down randomly, the radio will flick off and on, a beeping sound is made and the odo will say "check guages".
Now, even more interesting, sometimes when I shut the truck off, close door and lock it with the remote, the interior lights and radio will come on and flick off and on randomly while truck is off. Each time it flickers I can hear a click sound coming from the fuse box under the hood.

Now, I've had my 1 year old alternator checked and it's good, brand new battery last week, and all fuses are good in the interior fuse box.

I wouldn't think a bad guage cluster (?) because it's affecting the radio and lights too. Bad relay somewhere? I'm about to take it to the Ford dealership (and probably get ripped off lol) but figured I'd ask for any help as a last resort before taking it in.

Sorry for the long story, and thanks so much to anyone who may have some insight.

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the grounds behind both kick panels.

Thanks ncranchero. I checked these grounds last night and (unfortunately) they all seem to be very solid, tight and clean. Tried following the wire for a few inches before they dissapear into the other bunch of wires and all is clean.

I guess once I get the chance I'll be taking it to the dealer :(

headlight switch/dimmer control
my '01 has similar issues (warning lights and stuff sometimes don't work), wiggling/adjusting dimmer fixes it usually

So on Monday my trac wouldn't start due to these issues drained my battery. So that was the last straw for me. I finally took it to the dealer and after dignostic testing, it needs a new intrument cluster. The part alone is over $500 then with the diagnostics they just did, labor for install, reprogramming the keys and tax, the total is $980. :( The cluster has to be ordered so it'll be a couple weeks before it's replaced. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I'm really hoping they are right and this fixes the problem.

Thanks again to those who gave me some tips, believe me I tried them all lol.

Jason

just get an instrument cluster from a pick n pull for like 30 bucks. if youre handy, you can probably just put the thing in yourself, its not too hard, and there are videos on youtube on how to do it.

the only hard part would be taking your odometer cluster out and putting it into the replacement cluster. i havent done that in an explorer yet, but ive done it in a honda and its not too hard. oh yeah, and you might have a hard time finding a cluster that doesnt have white gauge faces, but if its worth it to go 980 bucks for white gauges instead of replacing with the black gauge faces you will be able to find at the pick n pull, go for it. good luck!

I'd already thought about our local pick-a-part. I'm pretty good with basic repairs, elecrical and audio stuff, but I don't think this is something I dare to tear into myself. And I definately have no clue how to reprogram the keys, which they say needs to be done after replacing the cluster, and both keys/remotes are needed to do so. Also, being that the odo is digital, a used cluster will not have the same info. When ordering the new one, they program it to begin with the current mileage.
I do love the white face guages. I don't even know if the new one will be white, so if it means getting this fixed I can live with black if that's what the new one is.

I have white faced gauges in my 2001. The odo quite working so I found one on ebay. You do have to take off a fair amount of the plastic dash to get to the gauges. Not a huge deal though. I think your looking at a dozen or so bolt/screws. I don't see any reason you would need to change anything with your keys or reprogram it. I replaced mine with the new cluster & haven't had any issues at all? Everything works as it should. You do have to remove the shift mech out of the cluster. It's simple just a tab to get it to drop out of the bottom. Then slides back up int he new one. Not sure if the 05 is different there with needing programming though?

The 05's (and 04 I think) are different in that they have the digital odos and when I ordered it from the dealer they needed my current mileage so it can be pre-programmed from factory before it's shipped to the dealer. I do want the mileage to be true because if I got a used cluster it may have way more miles showing on it than my current 81000. That could be a hassle in the future if I wanted to sell/trade-in and have to explain the difference in miles to someone who probably won't believe me lol.
Not to mention the programming the dealer has to do. I've googled this and have found others saying the same thing, that it needs to be programmed by dealer. My dealer said they needed both keys to do it too, not sure why they need both, but i'll ask when I take it in and let you all know.
Also, they said the cluster is an exact factory replacement so the face should be white still, well... I'll see.
Believe me, I try to do what I can myself, and I'd love to save the cash and do this myself, but this is just too much for me to mess with and screw something up and make it worse.... oh well.

Ah! That makes sense. Not that familiar with the changes between years yet. Good luck man

Had the cluster replaced friday. So far no issues, seems to be solved (knock on wood). The replacement cluster is an exact replacement, and it is white. I forgot to ask why they needed both keys to program it. I'm just glad the 'gremlins' are gone!

Back