• Register Today It's free!

Interior lights issues

2004mountaineers

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Mountaineer
Interior lights do not turn off when I leave the vehicle and shut the doors (even after waiting several minutes). Instead I have to manually turn the wheel on the dash just left of the steering wheel all the way downward to get the interior lights to turn off.
Any advice?
2004 Mercury Mountaineer, v6, 4liter, awd, not flex-fuel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interior lights do not turn off when I leave the vehicle and shut the doors (even after waiting several minutes). Instead I have to manually turn the wheel on the dash just left of the steering wheel all the way downward to get the interior lights to turn off.
Any advice?
door ajar light on?

I had same problem. Fixed it by pig tailing sensor wires in all doors except driver door and rear main hatch door.
If you have children (mine all grown), you may want to replace all defective door assembly actuators to maintain function.

i find this funny

OP is 2004mountaineers
responder is mountaineer2004 🤣

door ajar light on?
I am not seeing any door-ajar lights.
There is however a red LED in the center of the dash way up front very close to the windshield that is always blinking; I just assumed that was normal, but I have no idea. I just assume it to be some sort of anti-theft blinking light....

With engine running, open each door, one at a time, then shut. Including rear hatch and glass. Listen for a chime tone when opened. If one does not chime, that is the switch keeping dome turned on

Any advice?
Don't know if it's the same for an '04, but the "battery saver" function on my 98 will shut those down after half an hour. Has the wheel like yours.

With engine running, open each door, one at a time, then shut. Including rear hatch and glass. Listen for a chime tone when opened. If one does not chime, that is the switch keeping dome turned on
I just now ran that test. The only door that makes a single-beep chime when opening it is the rear hatch. In the process, I found out that the door lock/unlock button only works when the roller-wheel light-knob is turned all the way down (all the way off). That may lead me to another question: how do you lock the rear hatch if/when the door lock/unlock button is not working?
whoops: I forgot to do the rear glass. will do that right now.
.... Ok, the rear window also makes a single-beep chime (but none of the four doors makes a single-beep chime.)

Don't know if it's the same for an '04, but the "battery saver" function on my 98 will shut those down after half an hour. Has the wheel like yours.
I just timed mine. After 9minutes and 50seconds, it turned off by itself.
Based on that, I think I will put the interior-lights-issue on the back-burner.
At the moment, I am more concerned now about how I will open the rear-hatch and rear-window (or lock them) in the future if the lock/unlock button fails, as it is already failing when the interior light-wheel is not turned all the way off. I don't see a mechanical key-override anywhere on the rear hatch or rear window.

YouTube has a video showing where to look for broken wires in door jamb for this issue. Search on Google for. " 2004 explorer dome light fix"
First, is there an adjustment for the dome light time delay?

YouTube has a video showing where to look for broken wires in door jamb for this issue. Search on Google for. " 2004 explorer dome light fix"
First, is there an adjustment for the dome light time delay?
I am not aware of any ability to adjust the length of the time-delay.

I also have the thing where my light dial has to be turned completely off for the lock/unlock button to work.

Any advice?
I had the same problem and discovered that the contacts were worn and dirty on the dimmer switch. Replaced the switch and the problem was fixed.

2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 V-6

Any info on why the doors won't lock unless the dimmer dial is turned completely off?

Back