Gauges where the radio used to be.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gauges where the radio used to be....

sweet thanks for the tip.
I will have to hit the Home Depot. and see what is what.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Monmix, if you decide to try it, let me caution you. When I did it, I could not find ANY tape that would stick to the dash to mask off what I wanted. I tried Scotch, electrical, painters, masking, and I think duct tape also. What I ended up doing was just running my finger around the edges, removing any overspray. And that was the nice thing about that stone paint, it did not really smear, just kind of balled up.

Well I would remove what ever it is I decide to paint.
I work in a body shop and we have a few tricks to get stuff to stick.
( which work sometimes )

After driving it a little more, I have come to the conclusion I am going to need another tranny cooler. I helped a friend of mine move some stuff from his house, which we loaded on a trailer, and it did not take long for the temp to get up to about 260:eek: So I am thinking of getting another cooler and mounting either right beside where the one I have is now, or mounting on the radiator so it will have the fan constantly cooling....:rolleyes:

OR get one with a built-in electric fan.

Originally posted by Alec
OR get one with a built-in electric fan.

I was considering that too, and actually I was looking throught the Summit catalog that I got yesterday to see what kind and how much they are. And I already have an electric fan on the cooler I have now and was not sure if I wanted another fan or not.

Originally posted by Limited Ex
I was considering that too, and actually I was looking throught the Summit catalog that I got yesterday to see what kind and how much they are. And I already have an electric fan on the cooler I have now and was not sure if I wanted another fan or not.

I think you have a moody tranny, it didnt like tellico either. Throw about 5 or 6 coolers on there and have that coolant down around freezing.

I recently installed a tranny temp gauge and B & M Super Tranny cooler to my Explorer Limited.
I still see times where the temperature really climbs.

This last Friday I was telling my mechanic friend, Bill, my experiences with this. And he explained to me that the tranny temp goes up when the torque converter unlocks. So one key to keeping lower tranny temps is to learning how to keep the torque converter locked up if you can.
I have found that while towing up a steep hill that once I downshift the tranny into 2nd the temp goes down. So that must be causing the torque converter to be locked up. But on the Limited the tranny won't let you kick it into 2nd until you are doing 65mph or less. But once in 2nd, I could get it to climb back up to 70mph.

But in stop and go traffic while towing, I'm not sure what you can do to try and keep the torque converter locked up more often. I've thought about adding a puller fan to the B & M tranny cooler for the stop and go situations. I'll probably just hook up a manual switch for the fan in the Limited. When I go to do this to the Sport Trac, I'll probably get an auto fan setup for 160 degrees. That way I don't always have to watch the temp gauge when I'm offroading.

Back