gear ratio, performance wise? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gear ratio, performance wise?

ok well since i was thinking about getting 33's i have decided to regear at the same time, ok i want good highway and within stock performance, but i also will be running 31's at the track, so i was thinking the lower gear ratio at the track the better, soo i thought 4.56's

so i was wondering how much does the gear ratio really matter 1/4 mile wise, what would be the performance gear ratio with 31" tires for running a 1/4 mile?

my over all goal is to get in the low 16's with just bolt ons and a low gear ratio, think i would be able do to this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

catchup said:
ok well since i was thinking about getting 33's i have decided to regear at the same time, ok i want good highway and within stock performance, but i also will be running 31's at the track, so i was thinking the lower gear ratio at the track the better, soo i thought 4.56's

so i was wondering how much does the gear ratio really matter 1/4 mile wise, what would be the performance gear ratio with 31" tires for running a 1/4 mile?

my over all goal is to get in the low 16's with just bolt ons and a low gear ratio, think i would be able do to this

I've always heard to use 3:73 for automatics and 4:10 for manuals as a good all around setup. But, I don't know with the bigger tires.

Jakee said:
I've always heard to use 3:73 for automatics and 4:10 for manuals as a good all around setup. But, I don't know with the bigger tires.

Not for that larg of a tire.

i think 4.56's would be your best bet. that will work good with 33's and with 31's takeoff will be about as good as it gets without being geared too too low. it should be a nice combo. 31's and 4.56's will be the equivalancy of 5.13's and 35's which i can say is a very good combo imo

i got 4.56 with a 32" tire that measures out 30.9" Probably smaller than that now that their bald =) I wouldnt have it any higher. Honestly, with the new cam i almost want 4.88's

Jakee said:

Sizing the rear gear ratio for an application has less to do with the type of transmission and more to do with the engine powerband (low & torquey, high and revvy) and the height of the driving tires, tire design/compounds (1/4 mile racing only) and of course what you plan to be doing with the vehicle.

rocket 5979 said:
Sizing the rear gear ratio for an application has less to do with the type of transmission and more to do with the engine powerband (low & torquey, high and revvy) and the height of the driving tires, tire design/compounds (1/4 mile racing only) and of course what you plan to be doing with the vehicle.

What info do you need to know about my truck to pick a good gear? I have 3:73 right now. I've often wondered what 4:10's would do. As you know I'm more about getting somewhere really quick and not top end although I do need okay gas milliage. (I'm willing to suffer a LITTLE bit at the pumps for a quicker quarter mile)

Jakee said:
What info do you need to know about my truck to pick a good gear? I have 3:73 right now. I've often wondered what 4:10's would do. As you know I'm more about getting somewhere really quick and not top end although I do need okay gas milliage. (I'm willing to suffer a LITTLE bit at the pumps for a quicker quarter mile)

Send me a detailed list of current and future performance mods that you have; along with telling me, IN DETAIL, what your plans are for present and future use of your truck for recreational and normal driving. Do that and I will be able to reccomend a gear that will best fit your all around needs.

Back