AOD / 4R70W Gear Ratio Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AOD / 4R70W Gear Ratio Question

With the 302 going in my Ranger, I am going to run an AOD behind it, adapted to my 1354M transfer case (and 4.10 gears).

The question is, which gear set should I run in the trans - the standard set (2.40:1, 1.47:1, 1.00:1, 0.67:1) or the wide ratio set of Explorer fame (2.84:1, 1.55:1, 1.00:1, 0.70:1)?

I like the lower first gear of the wide ratio set, but there is a big gap going to second. To those that have this ratio, is this really noticeable/detrimental? It seems like the engine would drop a lot of RPM going into 2nd...

I assume that the 0.03 gearing of the overdrive wouldn't really affect gas mileage on the road - am I right?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go with the wider ratios because of the lower first gear. The 302 should have enough torque that the 1-2 gap shouldn't be an issue.

its not the gap between 1st and second thats so bad its 2nd to 3rd thats horrible in my ex

For the light Ranger I'd stay with the AOD planetary(close ratio). Unless you were to need to tow something very heavy, the 302 will have tons of torque for whatever rear gear and tires you have.

The 4500lbs Explorer needs the wide ratio, but it does hurt the 2-3 gear change for acceleration.

I ended up choosing the wide ratio set. I really like the 2.84 first gear.

It's surely fun, but the tires don't like it. My 3.73 Mark VII ate the first tires I put on it, which is a similar final drive ratio given the tire diameters. I'm going back to 3.27's in that car, and staying with the close ratio gears in the next trans build for it. Have fun.

Back