Gear ratios the same between Auto and 5sp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear ratios the same between Auto and 5sp?

chris070780

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I recently put my motor from 91 EB Auto explorer into a 91 5sp Explorer. I am having rear-end problems with the 91 5sp. I was thinking about swapping the whole rear end. If I read the tag right I believe it has 3.55 gears in the 91 5sp. My 91 EB Auto is missing the tag on the diff. Is the ratio the same in the 91 auto?? Is there any other way to find out via VIN?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having rear-end problems with the 91 5sp
What problems? Rear end gearing doesn't matter with 5 speed or auto.. It could have anything from 3.05's to 4.10's in either.

What problems? Rear end gearing doesn't matter with 5 speed or auto.. It could have anything from 3.05's to 4.10's in either.

X2

The swap has nothing to do with the rear diff. Are you having problems, or does it feel different because the ratios are different? Check the door codes on the old one to see what the ratio is.

If you read your door tag, there is a code for axle. The axle code corresponds to the gear ratios as follows

Open Diffs
41 3.27
42 4.10
43 3.08
45 3.55
46 3.73

Limited Slip Diffs
D1 3.27
D2 4.10
D4 3.73
D5 3.55

Rear end gearing doesn't matter with 5 speed or auto.. It could have anything from 3.05's to 4.10's in either.

i would clarify that between auto and manual the same axle selection is available, but is does matter in that it has to be the same ratio as the front. i have seen people ask in these threads.

Also as a side note, the A4LD auto tranny is a 4 speed, and the manual is a 5 speed (as stated), the two will 'feel' different. What problems are you having specifically? and did you switch anything else out?

Back