• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer gear ratios

Adam Berger

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4wd
I have just recently put 32" BFG Muds on my 1999 Explorer XLT 4x4 and have found that this has affected my high and low range gearing (accelerates too much on steep descents). I was wondering if anyone knows if I can get different diff centres for it. I believe the diffs are Ford 8.8" and Dana 35 IFS but I don't know the ratios. Could I get diff centres from a manual Explorer (mine being auto), assuming they are Different? Or could I change the transfer case gearing if you can buy them? Anyones help would be great as there is not much support for them in Australia (they're not a Landcruiser or Patrol).

Welcome!
Common gears for the 8.8/35 combo are: 3.27, 3.55?, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56

Even in the Aussie model, there should be a sticker on your driver door with an axle code. This page: http://www.users.qwest.net/~ntrpriz/main.htm has the code definitions. With 32's, the best overall gears are probably 4.10.

You'll want to just change out your differential gears, you just have to find the right gears for your diffs and get them in there. This would also be a good time to install a traction aide like a locker or posi in the diffs, since labor costs will be the same. Good luck!

As usual, Alec is right on the money... my '99 came with 4.10 stock because of the tow package and I am running 33x12.5R15 with no problems at all. He is also right about the gear/locker/posi at the same time... it would be alot easier and cost effective. Good luck and welcome to the Explorer Family...;)

Back