Gear Shift Indicator Out of Sync... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear Shift Indicator Out of Sync...

KC

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburg,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB SOHC
Sorry if this has been duplicated somewhere - my seach came up empty. The steering column gear indicator on my '99 EB Auto-Trac explorer (4.0 SOHC) seems to have slipped or jumped a notch to its right. So Park shows as "R", Reverse shows as "N", Drive shiows as "2", etc. When you drop it into 1st gear the indicator is all the way to the right. So far the X drives and shifts as it should, but it's a bit unnerving to have the shifter in this condition! Anyone seen this before or can anyone tell me how this linkage works between the shift lever and the shift indicator? Or for that matter if this indicates a bigger problem?
Thanks in advance!

There's an adjuster under the dash, it's a small wheel actually. Look under the steering column and you'll see it. Turn it to line up the gear selector. You can do a search for "white faced cluster", I've seen people showing pictures on how to get it done. That's how I adjusted mine.

Joe

Thanks RJ, I don't know why some of those threads didn't pop up in my search... I'll mess with it this weekend. Thanks again.
Ken

Back