Gen II trailer wiring question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gen II trailer wiring question

I've searched and I know this topic has been nearly beaten to death but I feel my question hasn't been answered.

I have a '97 XLT with THIS class III hitch and an aux transmission cooler of some sort (factory?).

I've located the grey plug behind the left rear wheel. I've unplugged it and the bumper side of the wire harness only has 2 pins- for the license plate lights. The body side of the connector appears to have 6 (or so). 2 for the license plate lights and 4 for the trailer?

My question is: is THIS all I need to complete the trailer wiring?
118241.jpg

And if it is, when I plug this in, I'm guessing I'll loose my license plate lights.

Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's 2 of those plugs under there, check the other side. :)

Well at least that's the way my truck is....?

Hmm... Did you check the license plate lights to see if they work with that plug unplugged? If they don't work would could always try your hand at some wiring at tap the LP lights into that harness. :thumbsup:

Check up on the passenger side of your rear bumper...on my '97, the trailer plug was tied to the bumper there....I got the same part you have pictured, and my trailer lights work when needed, and my license plate lights are fine...

Yeah, I got nothing on the passenger side. It's a little tough to see because the hitch is in the way, but I can see nothing coming out of anywhere on that side.

But I did just go put on the turn signal on the truck and put a test light on the disconnected driver side plug- it blinks. Tried the other blinker and a different pin blinked. So this is definitely the trailer wires.

So I guess I'll figure something out to get the license plate lights working.

This pic is from my oodles of parts for sale thread.

IMG_0045.jpg

If you don't have the end with the capped harness plug (where that harness you showed plugs in) someone has cut it off. You do not lose your lights with the correct harness on the truck.

The dirty connector is where it plugs in under the taillight. The bulbs are the plate lights.

This is where it should be...

Jun11_0001.jpg

So your license plate lights are already inoperative? I don't have my manual in front of me, but if they're on a fuse, couldn't hurt to check... Both of mine were burnt out when I got my X....and boy are they fun to replace;-)

No, my license plate lights work.

At the connector behind the left rear wheel, I have 6 pins- however there are only 2 conductors going from there out to the bumper side (for the license plate lights).

So if someone cut the trailer portion of the bundle out, they also removed the 4 pins from the connector for the trailer lights.

Tom- do you need that harness? It's for sale...

Why dont you repin one of the connectors and put all six wires (4 from the trailer harness and 2 for the license plate lights) into 1 connector.

That's what the above connector is... The factory harness carries the plate lights and the trailer wiring from below the tail to the trailer plug and plate lights

Back