• Register Today It's free!

General 4.0 Maintenance Question

jonboyb

Reaction score
City, State
Alpharetta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mounty 4.0 2wd Base
Got almost 140k on my 2003 4.0 Mountaineer and about to pull it down for seeping valve covers finally....getting the red light stink pretty often now. Going to replace front and rear tensioners while I'm in (with factory tensioners) and intake gaskets, but might as well do plugs and wires too. Search hasn't really brought up much info on plugs and wires, but any opinions? Just factory Motorcraft platinums at .054 gap or is there a better alternative for the 4.0. Same regarding wires....any benefit to Motorcraft wires or go generic there? Thanks.

@jonboyb
In my book, plugs are plugs. Some will ridicule that statement. Motorcraft seems to be the universally-accepted "primo" repair part for Ford vehicles. Whether or not such conjecture has ever been proven, is undecided. Maybe Motorcraft are also Chinese, for all I know. Replacing the tensioners seems to be a good idea.

What is "red light stink"......??? imp

@jonboyb
In my book, plugs are plugs. Some will ridicule that statement. Motorcraft seems to be the universally-accepted "primo" repair part for Ford vehicles. Whether or not such conjecture has ever been proven, is undecided. Maybe Motorcraft are also Chinese, for all I know. Replacing the tensioners seems to be a good idea.

What is "red light stink"......??? imp

LOL I have the same thing I'll bet. It is the smell of burning oil from the headers that you get when you stop...

Back