Generation 3 or is it a Gen. 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Generation 3 or is it a Gen. 2

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EXPLORER /'90 Mustang
Hello Everyone, I have a '02 explorer :navajo: which is one of the earlier, even earliest perhaps Gen.3 model due to its Build Sticker on the door, it reads 08/01.. I asked My wife, she is a title clerk, and said what I always thought, any model after the June month as example, model door sticker 08/01, is the 1st of the 3rd generation Explorers.. Every now and then, I realize when purchasing parts there's a part # off but, only on certain parts that happens on..
Some parts are for a 2nd gen. Explorer. I have a Eddie Bauer edition, maybe that has something to do with it... I was just wondering if anybody else had this mishap ? Thanks everyone ? :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the model year is 02+ then its third gen

It's 3rd-gen. What hurts you (and I) is that we have what are known as 'early build' 3rd-gens.

While the '02 is generally considered the worst of the 3rd- (or any?) generation Explorers, the 'early build' ones (before 3/4/02) apparently have a special place in Explorer Hell.

This thread explains a little about our 'special' problems...

I had a '99 that ran pretty well, but the body was rusting away, and I wanted a nicer looking & bigger one (fell in love with the '99)

Found an '02 with a rust-free body before I knew about the MY issues for a great price (it needed some work, but that didn't scare me...mostly minor stuff, which I'm about 2/3 done with now); the engine was noise-free and the tranny shifted well.

Had I known about the 'early build' issues, I'd have run far away from this one.
I did know the '02 was 1st year changeover, and should've stayed away for that reason alone (it's good advice to stay away from the 'all new' model years - of any marque).

My '02 was built on, if I remember correctly... 3/2/02 :wtf:

What I'm curious to know is...how in the hell did they do a line changeover so fast - on 3/4/02, the 'late build' started. That's insane. I'd wager that the 'early late builds' probably had a few extra bugs to work out as well - ?

^^^^^ Ditto

I too knew that 02 was the change over. But had I known, I would never have bought mine! But I really do love it. I love the way to drives and everything. Its not very smooth, or at least not as smooth as our Suburban but it handles almost identical to our Suburban which I love.

My build date is 02/02. Yay! (AHHHHHH!!!!!) It now has 64,900 Miles on the clock :D

Also, GET THE RECALL ON THE BRAKE SWITCH HARNESS! 2002 Explorers CAN burn to the ground! Ford will install a dual fused harness in between the factory harness and new redesigned brake switch. The fuses are permanently sealed and if they ever do blow that is bad. If that happens you have to go back to Ford for a new fuse harness and an inspection as to why it blew...

Check your VIN #, the 10th digit indicates what year it is.

It's 3rd-gen. What hurts you (and I) is that we have what are known as 'early build' 3rd-gens.

While the '02 is generally considered the worst of the 3rd- (or any?) generation Explorers, the 'early build' ones (before 3/4/02) apparently have a special place in Explorer Hell.

I had a '99 that ran pretty well, but the body was rusting away, and I wanted a nicer looking & bigger one (fell in love with the '99)

Found an '02 with a rust-free body before I knew about the MY issues for a great price (it needed some work, but that didn't scare me...mostly minor stuff, which I'm about 2/3 done with now); the engine was noise-free and the tranny shifted well.

Had I known about the 'early build' issues, I'd have run far away from this one.
I did know the '02 was 1st year changeover, and should've stayed away for that reason alone (it's good advice to stay away from the 'all new' model years - of any marque).

What I'm curious to know is...how in the hell did they do a line changeover so fast - on 3/4/02, the 'late build' started. That's insane. I'd wager that the 'early late builds' probably had a few extra bugs to work out as well - ?

Back