• Register Today It's free!

Getting emblems off

jt1970m

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Eddie Bauer
Does anyone know how to get the emblems off the front and back? Is it just glued on the truck or does it have bolts in it? I am talking about the FORD emblems. I am going to paint them to match the truck and reinstall them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my '99, it was simply glued on. A jeat gun and some acetone completely removed them and all traces of the adhesive.

Good luck.....

I'm pretty sure all the emblems on 98+ are glued on and don't have any holes to keep them in. If there are holes when you pull it off, you can just put it back on.

The emblem on the back has 2 "locating pins", but is only double sided taped in. You can take off the whole rear handle protector with only 4 bolts.

the front one in the grille is held on by 2 bolts. you need to take the grille off to get to them. I can take my grille off in 5 min but the first time it took me about 3 hours to figure it out.

I have a '96 XLT, does anyone know the exact directions for that spcific truck?.....also i just got my X painted black at MAACO, does that have anything to do with it, like do they take it off and paint and then put it on, and if they do is it the same way as before?

Sticky taped emblems can be removed with waxed string or fishing line.Run it behind the badge and it cuts through the double sided tape.

Rubbing alcohol helps remove the adhesive and will not harm the paint, just takes the wx off.

get pictures when you paint 'em

thesafeman88 said:
I have a '96 XLT, does anyone know the exact directions for that spcific truck?.....also i just got my X painted black at MAACO, does that have anything to do with it, like do they take it off and paint and then put it on, and if they do is it the same way as before?

If I remember right, there will be holes where the emblems on yours. 98+ Ex's don't have the holes anymore.

Back