Getting Tire Sensor Fault. What now? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting Tire Sensor Fault. What now?

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Today my tire sensor fault light came on. The truck is an '06 XLS with 135K miles on it. Any suggestions are appreciated? I think I have the belt type sensors. Thanks, Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean the band type sensors. Odds are the battery in it died considering the age or it just came loose and broke bouncing around inside the tire. I would just live with the light and make sure that your tires are inflated to proper pressure regularly and just change all of them when you go to get new tires. I think that is what most of us did before these silly little gadgets started trying to indicate how much air is in our tires. (sarc.)

Thanks. Dang, just replaced tires last summer. But like you say, light only comes on at start-up, and a simple press of the button turns it off, I can live with that. According to NYS Inspection rules, it will still pass inspection, and since we are planning to move south next year anyway, they don't even require inspections in GA. Guess I'll live with it, rather than open can of worms. You mean, I'll actually have to manually check my tire pressure evey once in a while? What is the world coming to :eek: :D

If you do end up wanting to fix it get a Motorcraft TPMS19 tool and follow the programming sequence. There's a confirmation on each tire and the one with the bad sensor will fail to signal.

Steve, good suggestion, but I just did a part fit check on the dropdown menus on Amazon and Ebay, and it says the part is not compatible with 2006 X's.

Steve, good suggestion, but I just did a part fit check on the dropdown menus on Amazon and Ebay, and it says the part is not compatible with 2006 X's.

Strange.. It's definitely compatible as I have an '06 myself and bought one to troubleshoot the same problem. One of my sensors was bad and needed to be replaced and the others are all still original and functioning properly.

Where did you get yours? If you want you can check ebay and Amazon, and see if you get the same results.

Where did you get yours? If you want you can check ebay and Amazon, and see if you get the same results.

I think I ordered it on ebay but it's been a few years so I can't see the history for sure. Here's a site that lists the procedure for 2006-2013 explorers and I can definitely verify that it's the right tool -
TPMS Reset Procedure

Im having an actual fault with my sensors I believe. I only get the light once in a while, during a long highway drive, usually 40 or so miles.

My issue with just "dealing" with it, is the flashing (/!\) light. When the fault appears on the screen (I have the smaller display if it matters), the dummy light also flashes for a good amount of time even when I hit the button to clear the display. Any way to just disable the system or something?

I hear everyone mention to go get those newer sensors and program them. That will be on my todo list next season when I get new wheels and tires.

If the band has broken like our 2010 Mountaineer with factory 20" wheels, it could be way out of balance on the highway. I ponied up the 120 bucks to get a valve stem sensor put in because I was on a vacation and couldn't take the vibrations this broken thing caused not to mention the constant nagging in the display. Next set of tires is going to see a full set of valve stem sensors go in. I can get them all four for that price.

You can get a valve stem sensor (orange electronics) on ebay for about 30 bucks. 2 flat head screw driver and a little elbow grease and you can break the bead and install the new sensor. 25 bucks will buy you a ford programmer that you can keep in your tool box for a rainy day.

Check this out before you replace anything. Mine is doing the same thing and when I don't use my charger it doesn't happen anymore.

https://youtu.be/YMevsqjSEIQ

Back