going to do the big 3 on my explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

going to do the big 3 on my explorer

bp1506

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary,AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
I probably need to do the big 3 since i am still running stock wire and i am getting dimming just with my one amp. I am just wondering what guage of wire to get for the big 3 or is there just a kit available that has the fused wire for the alt to batt connection. And then i am going to run a bigger guage of wire to the back of the truck to a distribution block so i can run a second map for my 4 speakers.

Just looking for suggestions, and also wondering how exactly you hook up the wire to the alt, just bolt it to the stock one on there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The big 3 grounds are a good idea. I would use a quality 4 guage. You can find it in many colors to match or accent your truck. The big three is from battery to body, battery to engine, and engine to body. You can upgrade your chargeing lead from your alt. the factory is attached to a stud on the back of the alt. Just add it to the output and run it to the pos battery post.

Tim

ProjectAviator said:
The big 3 grounds are a good idea. I would use a quality 4 guage. You can find it in many colors to match or accent your truck. The big three is from battery to body, battery to engine, and engine to body. You can upgrade your chargeing lead from your alt. the factory is attached to a stud on the back of the alt. Just add it to the output and run it to the pos battery post.

Tim

The big three includes positive on the battery to the alt.

MMMMM let me see
1) Battery to Body ground
2) Battery to Engine Ground
3) engine to bodyGROUND

The big 3 upgrade is the grounds.

Tim

weird- my battery ground and engine are not connected

upgrade your battery to alt wiring

ProjectAviator said:
MMMMM let me see
1) Battery to Body ground
2) Battery to Engine Ground
3) engine to bodyGROUND

The big 3 upgrade is the grounds.

Tim

big 3 tutorial Might wanna read that bud, it does include positive to alt, and doesnt include engine to body ground. Thats what ground upgrade kits are for.

Thanks for the info. I will go pick up some wire and maybe see if i can get to it this weekend.

expo5.0 said:
weird- my battery ground and engine are not connected

upgrade your battery to alt wiring

MMMM on most cars it is. Maybe not the Exploder but I have had about 15 cars that had the battery connected to the engine block.

Tim

The engine is grounded to the body, in turn grounded to the battery.. just not directly. But the alternator ground is just that, so I put an additional wire from the body/neg batt to the engine as well.

The ground strap on mine was to the rear of the engine bay., pretty thin

Whoa dave. You are twisting my brain. So you grounded the engine to the body. You grounded the battery to the body. And then you grounded the negative battery to the engine?

You did not upgrade the power wire from the alt?

lol I didn't list everything I did, I was just stating what ive seen. I have freakin wires everywhere, I have 1/0 negative cables going from batt neg to frame/body/engine and to amplifier, positive 1/0 from alt to batt, and from batt to amplifier.

i'm not going to go into the mess that is my car- you can use your imagination with two alts, two seperate circuits, 6 deep cycles, 1 starter battery, and wiring sponsorship.

However, i sort of mis-spoke earlier- in a stockish situation the explorer has a short 8 gauge ground from the battery to the body, as well as a 4 gauge ground to the front of the engine block, which is then in turn grounded at the back of the motor.

on my old 1st gen x my idle charge went from 14.08 to 14.4 just by upgrading big three.

alt to batt charging wire
batt to chassis ground
batt to motor ground

We need a big 3 sticky, so big 3 threads dont pop up everyday.

yes a sticky would be nice. And thanks for all the info.

As long as i am posting, are those stinger battery terminal connectors a waste of money? , I am still using the stock ones, was looking on ebay and they have a bunch of different ones, but not sure about the quality of those.

Is there anyway we can get a tutorial on the big 3 upgrade on a v6 explorer? Ive been wanting to do it but all the car audio shops i call dont know what im talking about and just want to put a capasitor on my car saying that will fix the problem

Back