Good Explorer mechanic in Detroit area? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Good Explorer mechanic in Detroit area?

FordSportGirl

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4x4 Sport
Hi, I might need some help. Is there a reasonable and trustworthy mechanic that knows about the early explorer 4x4 transmission? Basicly it won't go into 4x4 and the buttons wont light up.

This is my first truck so I'm scared I don't know enough to figure if I'm getting taken advantage of or not.

What should a look over cost to tell me whats wrong?
It's a 1993 2D Sport with 80k original miles.

Thanks,

Eva

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off - welcome to the site. Second - if you have someone who is a little mechanical you might save yourself alot of money by doing it yourself. Try doing a search on transfer case motor rebuild. There are a ton of threads here on this subject and it may be a relatively inexpensive and easy fix.

good luck

Thanks TSTONE! Yeah that's my problem finding mechanical people. My brother's out of town for school and i was borrowing his car...it got stolen. :mad:

Anyway I found some threads and (thanks to DeRocha's pics) checked the computer in the back by the jack. It lights up and stays red for a while then shuts off. The 4x4 buttons never make a noise when I push them.

I'm going to try the reverse for 30 feet thing first then maybe I will get my friend next door to tap on the transfer case.

This always has to happen in the winter too!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542

DON'T TAP TOO HARD!!! Things can break. If a brittle magnet shatters (even more brittle in the cold) it will be over $100 just for the part (unless you go to a pull-it-yourself junkyard, but you don't sound like the kind to do that).

Good luck!

Yes your problem is NOT the transmission!

Thanks, we only tapped it lightly with a wooden dowell... Nothing changed so I brought it to a garage. They say it's a switch.

Thanks

Tapping it may or may not make it start to work - make sure you search the threads for shift motor rebuild. When you push the buttons do you here a click coming from the rear interior of the truck? If so then your switches are fine.

Back