Got a 94 XLT 4x4 want to get it ready for off-roading! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a 94 XLT 4x4 want to get it ready for off-roading!

agordon

Reaction score
City, State
Centreville, VA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hi Everyone,

I just signed up here on the forum and I have some questions...

Here's my situation: I enjoy off-roading with friends and I want to get my own off-road vehicle set up. My Fiancee has a 94 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 AUTO with high mileage (124k). I originally thought about picking up a jeep, but I think a better thing to do would be to take over her truck and mod it out.. I am an electrical engineer and have beginner level mechanic skills. So...

I was wondering what the "essential mods" for heavy off-roading are and approx. how much they will cost. In other words.. what do I need to do to get this truck ready to hit the trails?

I appreciate any help you guys can provide!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditch the auto hubs for manuals. Autos break and leave you stranded when you need them most. Lockers front and rear will help alot, and of course some form of a lift should be used for more clearance, whether it be a body or suspension lift. Depending on what you want to wheel will ultimatly depend on what you will need to equip yourself with.

Do some lurking on this site Aaron. There's a million ways to go. But be honest with yourself. How much 4 wheeling are you gonna do? What kind of 4 wheeling? Are you going to be happy with just a little modification or are you gonna tear it out and upgrade in 6 months? Then see what other people are up to. There's the whole range here on the site.

How much will I offroad and what will I do?

Let me add that I'll probably be going through some moutain trails here on the east coast maybe 6 times a year. The rest of the time it'll be a daily driver.

In a year or two I'll be moving to Colorado, and I hope to be doing much more offroading. Maybe doing some scrambling over large boulders... But that is in the future.

Here's what I did, in short.
First I thought I'd go with a small lift. I didn't wheel much and didn't want to spend a lot. I did the f150 spring spacers in front and warrior shackles in the rear. This allowed me to put on 31's. This was a nice all around setup. I didn't want anything wild and this worked. Quick and cheap.
Then I spent a weekend on the Fordyce trail. We (my truck and I) got our ***** kicked. The autohubs went out. And the undercarriage hit everything. (BTW the Fordyce is probably the most technical trail out there.) We dragged and jacked my X for 4 days (8+ miles!). I vowed not to have that happen again. So I got a superlift 5.5, manual hubs and ditched my old lift. Whoa! 5.5 inches is a lot! It's very tall now and drives very different than stock or with the small lift.
One advantage is that I can use 33's now. The other advantage is that the rear springs are now on TOP of the axle so all that stuff never gets in the way. Something I hated.
My truck doesn't see the trails as much as I'd like. Probably 5-10 times a year. So I run my 31's on the road and when I'm going wheeling I switch to my 33's. Until my 31's wear out. Then I'll run 33's on the street and get some 35'2 for wheeling. I'm infected.

Hope that helps.

Everything you need will fall in one of three categories: clearance, traction, and protection.

Clearance: lifting the vehicle to avoid hitting things, and to fit larger tires.

Traction: includes tires, gears to turn the tires, lockers to turn the tires. The most important category.

Protection: body armor, i.e. skidplates rock sliders, grill guards, bumpers.

You decide what level of buildup. Minimum would be enough to keep up with your friends on the trail!:D

Back