Modifications to go off road | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modifications to go off road

Reaction score
City, State
Canberra, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
XLT V8 - 2003 model
Folks, I've have just purchased myself a new 2003 Ford Explorer, V8, XLT and am looking to set the car up to go off road.

She is a bit thirsty on the fuel so I want to put in 2 40L tanks under the car to increase the fuel to 160L.

Want to install a dual battery system - probably going to put the 2nd batter in the back (appropriately stored) as there is not a lot of room under the bonnet.

Looking to put a cargo barrier and shelves in the back as well.

Any comments, opinions or clues would be greatly appreciated.

Love the car !!!!

Louise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although I have little knowledge of the 3rd generation Explorer I doubt you will be able to add a second gas tank under your X. It may be possible to have a custom tank made to fit but this will be pricey. Another alternative would be to mount a roof rack (basket) on top of your X and carry additional fuel cans in it.

The stock battery used in the explorer is rather large. It may be possible to mount two Optmia batteries in the stock location, with a little effort. I wouln't recomend mounting a battery in the passennger compartment. Batteries emit toxic gasses while they are being chaged. There are batteries with special vents in them that are designed to be mounted in the trunk of a vehicle, but if I were you, I'd try to figure out a way to mount te battery under the hood. You'll be much happier.

As for the cargo barrier, try Explorer Express (watch for their ad at the top of the page).

Louise,

Your modifications sound nice, but I think you may be jumping the gun a bit here, unless I am wrong in assuming that the truck is stock so far.

Going offroad in any remarkable terrain may prove to be problematic, as the only way (that I know of) to lift the 3rd gen's with IFS and IRS is to basically replace the entire drivetrain behind the transfercase, which means custom SAS's in the front and rear. Again, this is just based on my limited knowledge of 3rd gens. 2002+ owners may have better, more accurate information :)

Why do you want 160L (about 40 gallons for those in the US like me that don't normally deal with liters) of gas storage? Unless you need to either drive an 800 mile stretch of abandoned highway or go offroad for two straight days, I don't see a need. Just my opinion, I'd just rather spend my money elsewhere, since you don't really gain any functionality out of being able to hold more gas.

Are you planning on running a truckload of lights along with a huge sound system? If not, maybe just consider getting a single yellow top if the stock battery truly isn't sufficient. Remember, you're going to have to solve your alternator situation if you go dual, which means either isolating the two batteries and upgrading to a high-amp aftermarket alternator, or running dual alternators (which would be my personal choice for if/when I decide to go dual).

Cargo barrier sounds good. I know Explorer Express has barriers for the back, so check them out. As for the shelves, you'd probably do best to build them yourself.

Good luck!

You can lift a 3rd gen, but its gonna tae some money prob. Either that or just do a bodylift, to clear larger tires. Here is a thread that has a lifted 3rd gen in it: Click me---->:D

I agree, there's no need to carrier all that fuel unless your WAY out there away from a gas station. If I were concerned about its Off Highway ability, Id consider more aggressive tires (body lift) and locking differentials. I wouldnt be concerned about batteries unless I were using a winch or running accessories while camping etc. That's why I added the extra battery. Go luck and post some pictures.

Back