Got a Code Reader | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a Code Reader

...The information you seek is located in the 2 links I previously posted...The have pics and part numbers too...;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So tonight I went to Princess Auto and got a code reader for $40 bucks. Works great. In the parking lot I checked out all of the codes and came up with the following 8 codes:

P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)
P1130 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Adaptive Fuel Limit - Bank No. 1
P1131 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1

I am guessing, after reading the description of the first code which is below is why most of the other codes are popping up. What do you lads think?

What does that mean?
The Evaporative Emissions System (EVAP) allows fumes from the gas tank to enter the engine to be burned, rather than vented into the atmosphere as an emission. The purge valve solenoid is supplied switched battery voltage. The ECM controls the valve by operating the ground circuit, opening the purge valve at specific times allowing these gasses to enter the engine. The ECM monitors the ground circuit as well, watching for faults. When the purge solenoid isn't activated, the ECM should see a high voltage on the ground circuit. When the solenoid is activated, the ECM should see the ground voltage pulled low, close to zero. If the ECM doesn't see these expected voltages, or senses an open in the circuit, this code is set.
Potential Symptoms

P0443 trouble code symptoms could be just an malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illumination. There may be no drivability problems at all. But, it's also possible to have a lean condition or a rough running engine if the purge valve is stuck open. Usually though, these symptoms are accompanied by other EVAP codes. Another symptom may be excessive pressure in the gas tank in the form of a "whooshing" sound when the cap is removed, indicating a purge valve that isn't working at all or stuck closed.
Causes

To cause a P0443, there has to be a problem with the purge control CIRCUIT, not necessarily the valve. Usually they are a unit housing the valve and the solenoid as an assembly. Or it could be comprised of a separate solenoid with vacuum lines to a purge valve. That said, it could be any of the following:

* Bad purge solenoid (internal short or open)
* Wiring harness chafing or rubbing another component causing short or open on control circuit
* Connector worn, broken or shorted due to water intrusion
* Driver circuit inside powertrain control module (PCM) is bad

Thanks Treleaven! I picked one up at the NE store here for $38.88. Plugged it in after work and it spit the codes out...Princess should be paying you a commission.

So I think I went to EVERY parts store in Edmonton, and then finally I said screw it and went to Part Source and with a little negotiation, asked them to search the part online and found the part I think I was looking for as the picture that came up looked like one of the purge valves that I had seen in one of the write ups. The guy was basically telling me he had no possible way to look up but I pretty much convinced him that the internet has endless possibilities. Anywho, part gets here Tuesday.

Nice. Glad it's getting fixed. I'm glad I grabbed a reader as well. Turns out my O2 sensor is pooched. Where my friend with a $1500 scanner was telling me its my TPS. Ahh well.

now that my problem will hopefully be fixed...lets get back to Princess Auto. I picked up a set of foggers from there when I first got the truck, but does anyone know if they sell those cargo cage roof racks?

i was in the winnipeg store just a bit ago,, and i didn't see them,, if they still have them , let me know,, i will order one , online,,

I just went and bought this part.
CP416.jpg

I have researched this over and over, I first looked above the spare tire where the Canister is, it wouldn't fit, I pulled the battery and battery tray out and it wouldn't fit, and now I have my truck torn apart, and no clue where to look next. I need some help ASAP so if someone can enlighten me on where it should go. Just in case this throws everything for a loop. It is a 1997 XL with a 2003 Ford Ranger 4.0L engine in it. That shouldn't matter because the engines are the same. PLEASE HELP ASAP AS I AM RUNNING OUT OF TIME USE IN THE GARAGE.

So tonight, we seafoamed my beast, and then changed 4 of the 6 plugs(couldn't figure out the rest until I came home to do more research) and the truck is running awesome. Found out a couple things while we were working. For one, seeing it is a Ranger engine from an 03 in a 97 Explorer, the PVC valves weren't the same, and buddy to did the install bypassed the 03 sensor by plugging an end, and he did the same as well for the 97 sensor, so one side was plugged, and the other was just running to air.

Another retarded thing this guy did, or should I say didn't do during the engine swap was change the spark plugs. Thank god he didn't though or else I probably wouldn't have gotten such a sweet deal on it. Anyways, the engine has approx 12,000 km on it and we pulled the original plugs with a HUGE gap. Something like .72 as opposed to the .52-.56 they are supposed to be gapped at.

Now I am getting a engine code from an O2 sensor as well as my purge valve and I remember someone suggesting that an O2 sensor and the purge valve wiring have been known to melt together. The code for the O2 sensor only came after the seafoaming but I am going to put it back up on stands this weekend and follow the wiring all the way through the truck. You never know, maybe it has been jimi rigged by Capt. Install.

Thanks for the help guys, Merry Christmas

Went to the wreckers today and got the purge valve, that ford quoted me $118 for, plus a bug deflector for $11. Installed in a jiffy and she isn't blasting any check engine codes at all. Still runs a little rough because of those two other spark plugs, still couldn't figure out how to get at them but that will be for another day soon. Installed my sub and amp and amp kit today to. Very productive day.

...See, this place can get you done and on the road in no time...Congrats on getting it fixed...:biggthump

Yeah, this site is friggen awesome. When I had my Tercel I was on Tercelonline.com, that was an EXTREMELY useful site because it was JUST Tercel's and there was little variation between the years, but there was clearly not nearly as many members as there are on this site. Hopefully we get a nice day soon so I can snap off some real pictures of the truck. On a absolutely awesome side note, I found a muffler shop today that will install a Magnaflow on my truck for approx. $240, thats taxes, muffler, labor, and parts included. For all of your Edmontonians, the place is called ABC Muffler, my buddy went there with his 07 Xterra at 8:30 this morning without an appointment and was at my place at 10:00 to take me for a rip. It sounds awesome. He only had to pay $190 all in because he was only a single in/single out.

which plugs are you having problems with? if it is the back two on the passengers side, you will need to drop a plastic apron that has a couple of christmas tree clips on it, and go through the wheel well opening to get to them.

I am assuming that I will be able to get that stuff done tomorrow as I am taking the day off to inspect the transfer case/possibly replace it as everything will be closed over the next couple of days

Back