• Register Today It's free!

Got another Navajo

Dano!

Reaction score
City, State
Lemoore CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo X 2
I was down in San Diego and decided to purchase another 91 Navajo, it had some minor issues which i quickly fixed before driving it back up to Lemoore, naturally that's when the real issues finally started.
:roll:
before i left San Diego i replaced the valve cover gaskets, replaced the temp gauge sensor, and a few vacuum lines. now that i put 450 miles on her, she starts to sputter and die out, she cant hold onto her idle.
so i cleaned up her MAF, and the thingie on the side of the intake manifold, but it didnt do much of anything.
not wanting to dig around into the engine to find something (sounds like a rattle or just something wrong with the head on the aft passenger side, it sounds like its missing.) i just desided to take it to the local pepboys to have her checked up. i thought that they would at least point me in the right direction as to what to look for and what to expect to find and replace. tell me everything they could find so i can make my own game plan.
they called me today and said they wanted permission to install a new MAF sensor and on top of the price for the part, "labor" would cost 103 dollars..
so i brought them the sensor from my other Navajo, and told them to roll the truck out of their shop and i would replace it myself.. and i did.
im starting to think it was a bad idea to take it to them, i hope they can give me some answers.
sorry, just venting some frustration.

-Dano

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

103$ to simply replace a MAF? I would have told them to back it the hell out so I can come get it

If you've already ruled out vacuum problems, what about fuel pressure? Can you check it at the schrader valve and ensure you have adequate flow? Could be a bad pump, crimped fuel line, or clogged filter maybe?

Also, check this thread.. some recommended checking the idle control valve:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311566

ok,
today they told me that the other MAF sensor i brought them was also "not functioning properly" so i bit the bullet and bought a brand new one hoping they would tell me that it was bad as well. but luckily this one "worked" and the Navajo instantly ran a whole lot better. ok hurray now what? they still need to finish the bumper to bumper inspection i am paying them for.
about an hour later they called and told me the IAC needed to be replaced. so, i brought the one from my other Navajo (its 6 months old) they quoted me another 175 dollars for parts and labor.. i just once again had them back it out and i replaced it myself. i wont be able to hear anything until tomorrow but it hope the part juggling is finally over.
on top of everything else when they backed it out the master brake cylinder blew up, it sprays brake fluid now. i just went out and put more mullah down and bought a new master cylinder. i cant wait for them to give me a quote for that tomorrow..
so far Ive kept pep boys diagnostic test down to 80 bucks. i hope they keep it that way.

-Dano

Dano,

What a mess... I hope that is finally the last of the issues and the Nav runs like a champ for many years to come!

--Phil

i got it back today. i guess they stopped goofing around and just finished the diagnostic. it came through with flying colors other than the MAF and the IAC, they told me to change the plugs and wires. it runs a whole lot better. i even got the a-da-boy from the wife.

Congrats, Dano! Enjoy the ride!

Back