Got humming noise from front wheel(s) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got humming noise from front wheel(s)

Simmo9

Reaction score
City, State
Bklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hello everyone, am simmo9. Looking forward to sharing my enthusiasm of owning a Ford Explorer. The 2003 XLT is my first and can't wait to upgrade when my opportunity comes. Haven't had many problems with my truck and was looking forward to giving thanks for it's creation but now I have issues with a lousy humming noise coming from the front, which is putting a damper on my enthusiasm. Do I have a serious issue here or just another time to change a simple worn out part?

Could be a wheel bearing. That would be the quick thing to look for

I'm having the same issue with my 02 xlt. Local shop replaced the drivers side bearing ($260) and the noise is still there. It changes only with speed, not rpms. I thought for sure it was the bearing, but now I just don't know. The shop says the other side is making some noise, but I know they're just saying what they need to say to justify why the noise is still there...which is pretty lousy, if you ask me.

Any other ideas? What would you all do to make sure it gets fixed without blowing unnecessary $?

Back