City, State
Kansas City, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
not the check engine light but the fuel cap light
the codes being thrown are:
P0133
P1131

i believe thay are (1) slow response from O2 sensor, bank 1 sensor 1 and (2) manifold control fuel/air meter

now i've already replaced both driver's side O2 sensors, but not the passenger's side yet. bank 1 sensor 1 passenger before cat correct? then i'm hoping that the second is caused by the first code but i don't know, any thoughts?

gonna replace the pass. pre-cat O2 sensor soon and hopefully can have a (almost) normal truck again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also wanted to throw in here that the '97 X only has 88,000 mile on a SOHC. ever since the last engine put a rod through the oil pan and ford replaced it (free under warranty from the last free engine replacement) it's had problem after problem. sorry, had to vent just a little

Using my Palm scanner, I am showing the following descriptions for your codes:

P0133: O2 Sensor circuit slow response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P1131: Lack of HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 1 Switches - Sensor at lean limit

I believe bank 1 is on the passenger side. My advice is to replace the O2 sensor as the codes you are getting are not the typical "system too lean/rich" codes.

My check engine light just came on and the scan showed the exact same codes as yours. i also have a 1997 SOHC but with 143k on it. Did changing the senors fix the problem? Which sensors did you end up changing and is it hard to do?

i've been slowly replacing the four of them one at a time (as money came around). after replacing the passenger side before catalytic converter O2 sensor and having Autozone reset the computer, i haven't had anymore lights or known codes. however it does still take an extra long time to start. i normally have to hold the key to crank for 3-5 seconds

Back