Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
Yes, I finally have adopted my parents troubled Jeep Grand Cherokee. :rolleyes:

This thing has been the bane of my existence since my parents got it two years ago. It needed work right off the bat and the thing never seems to run consistently. So my dad got fed up with it and turned it over to me in exchange for the Dodge. It works for me. This is just a short term vehicle, that I am trying to get running, in order to sell. The only thing good about this piece of junk is that it gets really good gas mileage, don't ask me how.:scratch:

Specs:
4.0L AMC I6
42RE 2WD
3.73 LS D35 Rear
Laredo Trim
BFG Long Trails 235/75/15
Hi-flow Cat
Electric Everything
Leather

Trouble spots:
Won't run, just cranks
Bad power steering pump
Cracked windshield
Bad head liner
Interior is at best a 6
Leaks oil
Is a PITA!

IMAG0008-1.jpg

IMAG0007-1.jpg

IMAG0009-1.jpg

Damn, after toying with it this afternoon, poking and prodding with my voltmeter, I managed to source the problem to the Auto Shutdown Relay. Apparently when the PCM fails to receive a signal from the Park Neutral Switch, Crankshaft position sensor, and the camshaft position sensor among other things, it kicks this relay on and shuts down the fuel pump and the coil so the engine can't start.

On my explorer if any one of those things happened individually the engine would still run, but it would throw a crap load of codes. In this case the only code thrown was a 12 code. Anyways I pulled the relay and bridged the connections with a 30A fuse and it started right away. Apparently that sensor isn't that important?

Back