Greetings!

thestumper

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Obviously I'm kind of new in town. :)

Just picked up a Red 2013 Explorer Sport. I should start by saying I'm not the average "SUV" type. I've driven sport sedans for years and I've had some pretty nice ones, but Mother Nature was "kind" enough to bless me with triplet boys 7 years ago :eek: Add my 12 y/o daughter into the mix and we simply out grew the small sedan segment. The last year was pretty brutal as the boys started participating in more activities and my daughter is already pretty busy with things. As much as I love my razor sharp imports, it was getting to the point where I needed a can of Crisco and a crowbar to get everyone in and out of my last car :D

I cross shopped as much as I could, but the reality is that performance AND practicality costs real money, and is hard to find in this market. The Acura MDX made the list (2013 model - too 'soccer mom' for me) as did the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Audi Q7. I briefly pondered the new Range Rover Sport, but since no monkey weren't flying out of my rear, I realized I couldn't afford it. Didn't want to stretch the dollar for the Q7 either, but it was nice. Downfall for the jeep was no third row seat, and the Acura's bland personality, but they were both very nice vehicles and I understand why they sell a ton of them.

I only have 120 miles or so under my belt the the Sport; most of that was the drive home from the dealer. And what a drive it was :D I made it a point to take the twisty two-land roads home and was rewarded by a great time. Past a semi on a dotted line and went from about 50 to 100 so fast it actually scared me. Handling seems great for a vehicle this size, but it's no 3-Series BMW :) This thing as options I didn't even know existed, and I did a lot of homework: heated/cooled seats, inflatable seat belts, DVD in the seats, dual sunroof, etc. Not sure what could have possibly been missed. I'm still wrapping my head around the MyFord Touch system - it's somewhat intuitive... right up until it isn't. But the bluetooth is working well, Nav got me home from the dealer, my iPod is synced, and I transferred my XM/Sirius. Now if I can get the Homelink working, I should be good to go! There's apparently an update to MyFord Touch - I saw some posts so I signed up for an account at the Ford support site - there's a link to the download so I'll have to do that soon.

Anyway, I'l probably be asking a lot of questions over the next few weeks and just wanted to introduce myself.

Thanks!!!!

-Eric

Back