Grill guard stability survey | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grill guard stability survey

zavetsky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
Of the folks out there who have grill guards on their 91-94 Explorer, I am looking for the ones who have the bumper mounted style........

I mounted my new guard today and it does look great!

Only thing is, I suppose the bumper is fairly flexible because I can make the grill guard/bumper shimmy a little by smacking it lightly with my hand.........

My Dakota's grill guard/bumper is rock solid.......

The company included two welded brackets, but after not being able to figure out where they come into play, I called the manufacturer....Basically they said that I may not need them.....

There are only two places I can see them going, and the holes just dont line up.........plus, I cant see how if they WERE there how they could help at all............

So, maybe this thing is supposed to be a little "bouncy" ? Its not the guard itself...the whole bumper flexes....

Any one run into this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brian's post

Brian....

Is yours a "RAM Accessories" grill guard?

I am waiting for a call back from one of their engineers to advise...

Did you get a couple of "L" brackets with yours? I did but they just won't fit..............

I ended up altering their brackets and it made some difference.....

The bracket on one side works on the lower mount.....the other side I have the bracket attached to the upper mount, since it wouldnt work on the lower.......

It did firm it up some.....

The issue is in the way that the bumper is assembled to the factory brackets....It seems that it is MADE to flex....

I may add a second bracket on each side, although I think its probably plenty firm now.....just a slight movement, not really a bouncey feeling anymore...........

I'm ready for my KC Daylighters now! They're on their way!

:)

Back