• Register Today It's free!

400,000 miles!

freak

Reaction score
City, State
Pemberville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Explorer XLS
2000 XLS 4.0 OHV M5OD. Purchased new in 2000 with a couple hundred miles on the odometer. If I recall correctly I spent around $24K on it and waited for the dealer to trade for it because I wanted the 5 speed. Just made it to 400,000 miles on Sunday. Original motor and transmission. She's rusty and dirty but I'd drive it anywhere. Just drove it from NW Ohio to Wash DC in August. Always used Mobil1 and usually Wix filters. Certainly have made some repairs over the years: (I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff)
( I've done all the repairs, no one else has touched the car.)

Intake gasket
injector seals
IAC valve
Top radiator hose
Many tires
Many wiper blades
Many brakes, rotors
Several serpentine belts
Lower ball joints twice
Upper A-arms
2 front wheel bearings
Several door latches
Rear wiper motor
All dash lights
Clutch slave cylinder (twice)
Replace clutch with above even though it could have lasted longer
Parking brake shoes
Brake lights
EGR gasket
Pilot bearing ruining M5OD input shaft so replaced both
Gas tank
Filler neck
Several starters
Several O2 sensors
3-4 batteries
3-4 sets of plugs
ignition coil
front differential - 350,000 miles and it was bone dry inside. Never checked it. Rear is full! :)
rebuilt alternator (new slip ring/brushes/bearings) twice
rear axle seals

Needs:
Valve cover gaskets BAD
Probably tires next year
Lower ball joints again
driver door latch
All dash lights (LED replacements lasted less than 2 years)
Radiator

Love the car. Runs great. Figure at 25K a year I'll be back in 5 years to say I'm at half a million. Pic shows me sitting in front of Hotel Harrington in DC and I'll admit that pic makes the body look better than it actually is.

Using monthly average historical gas prices for Ohio which I found on a government site going back to 2003 (I used 2003 data for 00, 01 and 02) and dividing the mileage evenly over the months and using my average mpg of 19 (which I calculated several times over the years)... I have a grand total of $53796.11 spent on gas.

exploder.jpg odo.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000 XLS 4.0 OHV M5OD. Purchased new in 2000 with a couple hundred miles on the odometer. Just made it to 400,000 miles on Sunday. Original motor and transmission. She's rusty and dirty but I'd drive it anywhere. Just drove it from NW Ohio to Wash DC in August. Always used Mobil1 and usually Wix filters. Certainly have made some repairs over the years: (I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff)

Intake gasket
injector seals
IAC valve
Top radiator hose
Many tires
Many wiper blades
Many brakes, rotors
Several serpentine belts
Lower ball joints twice
Upper A-arms
2 front wheel bearings
Several door latches
Rear wiper motor
All dash lights
Clutch slave cylinder (twice)
Replace clutch with above even though it could have lasted longer
Parking brake shoes
Brake lights
EGR gasket
Pilot bearing ruining M5OD input shaft so replaced both

Needs:
Valve cover gaskets BAD
Probably tires next year
Lower ball joints again
driver door latch
All dash lights (LED replacements lasted less than 2 years)

Love the car. Runs great. Figure at 25K a year I'll be back in 5 years to say I'm at half a million. Pic shows me sitting in front of Hotel Harrington in DC.

View attachment 438066 View attachment 438067
Wow that is amazing

congratulations!!!!!! huge milestone!

Dang, not often ya see one that high! Nice! Glad to see it's still being driven and taken care of!!

I am impressed. It is amazing that you still have the original timing chains and guides. Your repair list is way less than I would expect for having gone 400k miles in 23 years.

I am impressed. It is amazing that you still have the original timing chains and guides. Your repair list is way less than I would expect for having gone 400k miles in 23 years.
Ya know I've heard that thing rattling for almost it's whole life and always meant to fix it but never got around to it.

Love it! Next stop, 500k!!

I'm at 292,000 with original engine and trans also. And might throw in original fuel pump as well...

Anyway, if I can pass 300,000, will be a happy man!

It’s an OHV.

Ya know I've heard that thing rattling for almost it's whole life and always meant to fix it but never got around to it.
Amazing, original motor and trans. You must have really done a lot of preventative maintenance. Congrats, nice job and nice looking ride!

Awesome!

2000 was the last year you could get the 4.0 OHV .... mainly found in XLS models...
whoops, nevermind! thought he had an 01, but just checked he had an 00. youre right!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats that's awesome!:chug:

I believe this is the highest mileage 2nd gen I know of.

I'm setting you up with a 6 month Elite membership because I think this is a great milestone.

Back