grille options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

grille options

I need some advice about my grille, i curently have the entire front of my 96 explorer with the monochrome (all black) paint scheme,i currently have the stock grille but i like the billet grilles, but it looks so good all black and i think that by putting a brushed aluminum stull grille in, it will just throw off the idea of being monochrome, so heres what i was thinking, would it look right if i were to paint a billet grill black, leave it in its original finish, or just to not put a grille in at all?.......i am in favor of painting a billet grill black. If that doesnt look good, i can always just sand the grill back down and put it in as an aluminum finish, anyways, whats yalls opinion, thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try a black billet. I've never seen one before. I think it would look pretty tough. Mad Max sheeeot! :D

LOL, thats what i was thinking, i've never seen it either

I would paint a billet grille all black. Then if you don't like it you could lightly sand the face of the billet grille to only take the paint off of the front of the slats. Then in between the slats would still be black. That way it wouldn't be quite as bright as an all billet. Make sense?

thanks for the advice

I'll throw my vote in for black billet.
I think that will look tough.
Post a photo when you get done.

The hard part will be getting the paint to stick to the billet aluminum.

just scuff it up..... and the paint should stick fine to the aluminum..... just make sure you use a high quality paint... or else it will chip off in wierd spots due to road debris and bugs and look spreckled...

I thought about this later. You could try the tint that some are using on their taillights. That may give you a black chrome look.

i could try that, but i think i'm just going to try it plain old black first, and thanks for all the input.

Back