Grinding sound when turning

Rwilkerson

Reaction score
City, State
MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4wd
Hi All,
This is my first post here so be nice :)

My wife drives a 2004 Explorer XLT 4WD with around 150k miles. I usually do not ride with her but yesterday we took her car and I noticed that when she turn right or left at normal turning speeds from a stop the front end grinds and vibrates like crazy. If she turns VERY slowly it makes no noise or vibration.

From day one though (we bought it new) if she cranked it all the way over and made a sharp turn it always felt and sounded like something was going to break. Now it is every time she turns. I guess she has gotten used to it but it freaked me out a little.

Any ideas? suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you, I saw something on similar threads below my post today and it sounds a lot like Captain Bobs issue which seems very expensive at 4.2 hours.

Have to make a value judgment if that is the case

Unless you are sure it is coming from the front end, it could be the rear differential.
It has an additive in the gear oil that after time dissipates and causes the shuddering.
My did that too, put additive in and it stopped.

any idea of what it is called Jeff? I know we haven't done anything like that. I am not sure where it is coming from but assumed the front end since it only presents when turning

Might be XL-3 Friction modifier. Call Ford and ask them.

same thing happened to me today. drove with my wife and heard a terrible noise while turning. up on jack stands now. getting new hubs, bearings were shot on rt side.

we just had the wheel bearings on the driver side replaced a month ago. Looks like it is getting to be that time where everything starts breaking. I found info on this forum that sounds exactly like my problem. It was TSB 04-24-20. Look at that and see what you think

Back