Grinding/vibration when starting from a stop. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding/vibration when starting from a stop.

jhbpilot

Reaction score
City, State
Cordova TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Hi guys. I have a 2004 xlt 2wd. When starting from a stop I'm getting this grinding noise from what sounds like the rear of the truck. Seems to be worse making a turn at normal acceleration. However also get it when accelerating straight ahead just not as often. Rear end rebuilt by ford dealership 5 years and 50000 miles ago. One wheel bearing in rear was replaced 25000ish ago. Any ideas or ways to narrow down the problem? Thank you in advance

The rear differential has a friction modifier in it that can dissipate over time and cause the rear end to make the grinding noise especially at slow speed and sharp turns.

My did this and I changed the rear differential fluid and added the friction modifier and the problem was solved.

Ok thanks for the tip! I will give that a try. I did it about 3 years and 30000 miles ago. Is this longer than I should have waited?

Another bad rear wheel bearing?
If you DO NOT have limited slip rear differential, check one side at a time by jacking up and running in gear to listen for bearing noise on the raised axle end. Be sure to block the other three wheels on the ground.

Back