• Register Today It's free!

Groaning from the front end

maxs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 XLT
When i first start out and get up to 55 to 60mph I get a a groaning from the front end and vibration in the steering wheel. But if i let off the gas then get back on it stops until i stop and get going again. Wondering whats going on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When i first start out and get up to 55 to 60mph I get a a groaning from the front end and vibration in the steering wheel. But if i let off the gas then get back on it stops until i stop and get going again. Wondering whats going on?

The only thing I could think would be that teh auto 4wd isnt disengaging...I kno it engages when you make a sharp turn, maybe its just not disengaging and its making a noise from teh front wheels turning on dry pavement...

just a thought...

how would you suggest i see if thats the case how would i fix it?

I honestly have no clue how I would check it...maybe pull the fuses for 4x4..I believe theres 3 of them...and see if the groaning stops. Dont ride for long with teh fuses out because it may damage the transfer case, but that will at least tell you if the noise is coming from the differential or not. Otherwise it could be axle/ball join/suspension related. That would narrow it down a little

In a far fetched sort of way it almost sounds like the TCS/ABS. Maybe a cracked sproket on the front wheel?

In a far fetched sort of way it almost sounds like the TCS/ABS. Maybe a cracked sproket on the front wheel?

I agree..but I thought all the 06's were having the problems with the ABS rings...got me confused..

you may be right but I think I read somewhere that someone with an 07 had it happen too. See what drinking can do to you.

It could also be just that that front wheel bearing/ Hub assemblys are just bad. Its also pretty common on explorers. Check out the 02s section.

what does one do when one of these abs sprockets is bad? does it require changing the entire hub and bearing assembly? i am experiencing a similar thing as the original poster here, starts at 20mph and ends at 40mph. if i let off the gas a little bit and get back on it it goes away, or if i hit 41mph it goes away too. i have tried pulling the plug to the 4x4 module and it makes the noise go away entirely. i have changed the diff and transfer case fluids, no change. i was told there may be a sensor in the transfer case or one of the abs rings could be messed up. any way i can confirm this and how do i fix it? thanks!

How much steering wheel shake, where does the sound seem to be coming from, sounds like maybe a bearing ? or a out of balance issue?

same problem!

I have the same groaning on my 06 limited v8. starts up at like 45, 50 mph and keeps going. If I slow down, it goes away. Interestingly enough, I just had both front wheel bearings replaced by the dealer under warranty. I am going to try the 4x4 fuses today and see what happens. Will post result later on.

Howdy I had a similar problem on my 07. It turned out to be a wheel bearing. I took it to the Ford shop and they replaced it for free under warranty. I know the 07 has a 5 year 60,000 mile drive train warranty. You might bring it into the shop where you bought it and see what they tell ya.

lately i've been turning off my 4x4 AUTO by pressing the HIGH button then pressing the AUTO button immediatly after. Works like a charm everytime.

My '06 V8 4x4 does the moaning also anywhere from 25-80 mph, and is very random... If I listen carefully, a rattling noise also can be heard, especially when I'm driving next to barriers like in a construction zone...

lately i've been turning off my 4x4 AUTO by pressing the HIGH button then pressing the AUTO button immediatly after. Works like a charm everytime.

I have to do this in my wife's '06 and it's such a pain in the ass. Especially when driving in the snow, because they system allows no wheel spin at all before it engages. So I'm CONSTANTLY doing the high/auto button combo to go back to 2wd. 2 dealerships have both said it's "normal":rolleyes: I don't know whether to believe them and think Ford really did a half-ass job designing the system, or to no believe them and keep looking for an issue myself.

Where the driveline mechanicals are part-time 4x4, not AWD or permanent 4X4 (no center diff, so 50% of the power is always going to the front and 50% to the rear) you get the driveline binding and strain just like any other 4wd truck when you shouldn't be in 4X4. Like when it engages because you spun one wheel a bit in the sand when you pulled out of a side street, so then you end up going down the dry pavement road at 50MPH, still in 4X4. Not good for the front end.

I actually thought about digging into the wiring a bit to see if I could wire in a switch to keep 4wd locked out until I wanted to allow it.

I have to do this in my wife's '06 and it's such a pain in the ass. Especially when driving in the snow, because they system allows no wheel spin at all before it engages. So I'm CONSTANTLY doing the high/auto button combo to go back to 2wd. 2 dealerships have both said it's "normal":rolleyes: I don't know whether to believe them and think Ford really did a half-ass job designing the system, or to no believe them and keep looking for an issue myself.

Where the driveline mechanicals are part-time 4x4, not AWD or permanent 4X4 (no center diff, so 50% of the power is always going to the front and 50% to the rear) you get the driveline binding and strain just like any other 4wd truck when you shouldn't be in 4X4. Like when it engages because you spun one wheel a bit in the sand when you pulled out of a side street, so then you end up going down the dry pavement road at 50MPH, still in 4X4. Not good for the front end.

I actually thought about digging into the wiring a bit to see if I could wire in a switch to keep 4wd locked out until I wanted to allow it.

hey let me know if you come up with anything... I too have had 2 dealerships tell me this is normal, but whe I drive my brother's identical '07 explorer with the same 4x4 system it is SILENT. i activate his 4x4 high and it makes the same sound mine makes in 4x4 auto when it decides to engage randomly... isn't that right there a telltale sign that it is NOT normal? ford still finds any way to avoid paying to keep the customer happy, and I'm getting pretty tired of it!

Back