Groaning noise from wheel area

jagarundi

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT AWD
Hello all,

I'm noticing a groaning noise coming from the front wheels whenever I slowly roll over a bump. I also hear it when I make a deep left or right turn when parking. I've been hearing this since I've had my 98 truck, which is almost two years. Anybody know what it is? Also, I took it in to have the wheels aligned at RS Strauss and the tech told me that I needed 'camber bolts'. I'm about to take this bad boy down to Virgina and I don't want any surprises.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The groaning noise sounds like your bearings. Has it gotten any worse over time?

I think that the tech meant that you need a camber/caster kit. It comes with new bolts. Ford puts square plates on explorers at the factory, so the alignment can't be adjusted (very much) without adding the aftermarket kit with cam-shaped plates. Did the shop align it? Most won't warrant the alignment if the kit is not there.

If the ex still needs alignment, I'd suggest purchasing the kit (I got mine from advance for $15 per side) and installing it yourself. It's really simple, but all of the shops around here wanted around $150 for parts and labor plus the cost of the alignment.

NCSUDockhand said:
The groaning noise sounds like your bearings. Has it gotten any worse over time?

I think that the tech meant that you need a camber/caster kit. It comes with new bolts. Ford puts square plates on explorers at the factory, so the alignment can't be adjusted (very much) without adding the aftermarket kit with cam-shaped plates. Did the shop align it? Most won't warrant the alignment if the kit is not there.

If the ex still needs alignment, I'd suggest purchasing the kit (I got mine from advance for $15 per side) and installing it yourself. It's really simple, but all of the shops around here wanted around $150 for parts and labor plus the cost of the alignment.

Well, the shop aligned it but it's still not centered. I've noticed that with these trucks, the front wheels seem to tow out a lot. The groaning hasn't gotten any worse. Should I worry about a wheel falling off during my trip to Virgina? Also, this camber/caster kit, how easy is it to install?

Thanks

How many miles? I had to replace my hub bearings at about 120K. Also had inside tire wear and that problem went away with new hub bearings. When you jacked it up, the tire would kick in. Even though you couldn't feel any play in the wheel. These bearings have almost no grease capacity and they dry out. They can be regreased through th ABS sensor hole by sticking in an oversize zerk fitting. Course the sensor may break off because the hole is rusted and lithium base grease is very incompatable with the polyurea it is probably packed with. It would be a fix for 10K, but with all that work you might as well replace the bearing for $140. I miss those $10 bearings. I pressed the od bearing apart to inspect and there was no obvious wear, just a lack of grease.

Opera House said:
How many miles? I had to replace my hub bearings at about 120K. Also had inside tire wear and that problem went away with new hub bearings. When you jacked it up, the tire would kick in. Even though you couldn't feel any play in the wheel. These bearings have almost no grease capacity and they dry out. They can be regreased through th ABS sensor hole by sticking in an oversize zerk fitting. Course the sensor may break off because the hole is rusted and lithium base grease is very incompatable with the polyurea it is probably packed with. It would be a fix for 10K, but with all that work you might as well replace the bearing for $140. I miss those $10 bearings. I pressed the od bearing apart to inspect and there was no obvious wear, just a lack of grease.

I just hit 85k over the weekend. I've been hearing this sound since I purchased the vehicle two years ago. You really think that it's the bearings?

They wear out even faster if you have a V8 from the extra weight. I've been working on cars for 30 years and I couldn't find any evidence that pointed dirwctly to the bearings. I just took a chance and replaced one. I had low speed noise that would increase on gradual dips when the weight of the vehicle came down.

I had low speed noise that would increase on gradual dips when the weight of the vehicle came down.

I only noticed a kind of groaning sound while I was driving the other day but I have always heard it when I slowly roll over a speed bump. Are my wheels in danger of falling off during my long drive to Virgina this week?

No. Mine does that when I go over speed bumps, especially in colder weather. It is just the suspension, which of course Ford made non lubable, although some people have shot grease etc. thru pinholes in the rubber boot covers.

Back