Grumpy Transmission after fluid change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grumpy Transmission after fluid change

pgsteamer

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
A little fustrated but here goes…

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport, 4x4, SOHC, 4L, 4spd. I drive it a couple times per week. Appox 139,000 on it, everything is original.

My last transmission flush was at 91,000. However they did not drop the pan or change the filter for the 91,000. No adverse effects and it has run great until this latest transmission fluid change.

I decided to do it since the dipstick was a dirty at the bottom, but the rest of the fluid had the usual pinkish color.

I had a local shop do the filter and transmission fluid change on February 27th at 139,000. Not the flush, but a change.

Noticed the dipstick popped up when I got home, and the vent tube leaked some transmission fluid. A nice smokey time when I got into my garage since it spilled on the catalytic converter. Cleaned everything up, and watched it for a week to see if any thing else would happen. Vent tube near the pan continues to leak a smidge of ATF, but not as bad as when I drove home from the shop that night. I checked the dipstick hot after 20mi of driving, and it was above the crosshatch. Therefore I took it back to the shop this past Thursday, and explained it may be overfilled.

Got the Expy back, the level was reduced, but still a little over the crosshatch on the dipstick. The shop explained it was fine, and not to worry about it. The Expy sat in the garage this weekend, and fired it up today for a grocery store trip. It was sluggish going into reverse and drive out of the garage. I experinced three hard shifts while the engine was cold to warm. However the trip back home, with everything warmed, there were no problems. Everything shifted smooth. Still a drip in the vent tube of ATF.

My receipt shows they used this filter kit, and they used Mercon V for the transmission fluid change:

http://www.amazon.com/ATP-B-156-Automatic-Transmission-Filter/dp/B000C8R9O0

So what went wrong, or I doomed with a grumpy old transmission?

It might not have anything to do with the fluid change it could just be a coinisidence. If it is related the problems I see is that it might not be 4X4 filter or they damaged or left out the rubber o rings on the filter, overfilling could hide these mistakes.

Back