Guess what I have timing chain rattle! Lol | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Guess what I have timing chain rattle! Lol

Kodiak43351

Reaction score
City, State
NW Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer
Quick question I have the kit ordered along with the otc kit. I want to get started but was wondering if after you get motor to tdc did you install crank holding tool when you removed balancer? Or can I just bring it to tdc and impact bolt out and remove balancer with proper puller and hold balancer somehow? How did you guys hold it should I wait for kit or is that just for timing after I get the job done. I was a mechanic for 10+ years as a Chrysler tech and ASE certified. I been in a diff career since 07 (more money) but have worked on fords but don't remember ever working on this sohc 4.0l. Any tips before I begin would be great oh yea I also ordered the Haynes manual and got it today but not real clear on the balancer. I've R&R many balancers but can I get it on tdc and remove balancer then cover and then bring it back to TDC if it moves. I guess this wasn't a quick question lol. Thanks for any replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

flimsy holder

In my opinion the crankshaft holder in the OTC 6488 timing tool kit is too flimsy to use for loosening and tightening the harmonic balancer retaining bolt.

Many members have broken the harmonic balancer puller bolts when trying to extract the balancer. A standard puller presses against the puller instead of the crankshaft because of the small diameter of the balancer bore. I suggest that you read thru my helpful threads about removing the balancer and timing the camshafts. If you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the engine assembly instructions that include use of the timing tool kit.

Use to have to use a special puller on one of the dodge balancers I bought it years ago I'll look in barn and see if I have it still. Who know may work. I've use a quarter inch extension on those types before also guess I'll find out when I get to start this job this weekend I hope.

Finally got the time to finish the explorer and it runs good now I've got a bad alternator lol my luck I guess. This is a very involved job and I've been a mechanic for years just not much since 2006. I wouldn't recommend this job for someone with little mechanical exp but it's a home garage do able job. Hit me up if ya need some pointers because I did run into a few snags along the way. One that I would like to point out was when I was tightening right cam sproket I broke bolt because I was using special tool and it amplifies the torque. It say 63 ft lbs but with the tool it must of been way more so when I got new bolt I torqued to 43 ft lbs. good luck and hope I don't have to do this again lol

Congratulations

Congratulations on your successful timing chain related repairs. The specified torque when using the lever arm is 45 lb-ft. The tool allows loosening and tightening the passenger side camshaft sprocket retaining bolt with the engine installed. There is insufficient clearance next to the firewall for a standard torque wrench to fit. Many members break the retaining bolt when using a standard "click" type torque wrench which normally don't click when tightening anti-clockwise. Good luck with your Explorer.

Back