1998 S.O.H.C. V6 explorer timing chain rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 S.O.H.C. V6 explorer timing chain rattle

74 dodger

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' XLT SOHC V6
I posted a thread regarding this rattle but, it isn't getting the results I need. I'll repost my questions here.

I figured out that my 98' explorer has a PRIMARY timing chain rattle. I went on vacation and returned Monday with the intrentions of having this fixed by Ford. They wanted $1700 to change out the primary timing chain without listening to it. The tech told me that what i'm explaining sounds like the primary timing chain and that it should be replaced. I did the 2nd gear test and sure enough that is what i'm hearing.

My question is every post i've seen regarding this says that there are 2 kits available, Part No. 2U3Z-6D256-AA for balance shaft engines, Part No. 2U3Z-6D256-BA for non balance shaft engines BUT mentions the 1999-2002 AND nothing about the 1998. HOW do I find out WHICH engine I have and which kit I need. Also, I was under the impression that I need to pull the engine and do both front and rear chains, parts etc.

Which parts kit do I need and does anyone think I can get away with just doing the primary timing chain with one of the updated kits/parts while the engine is still in-just pulling everything off-waterpump timing cover, damper etc.? If I do the primary timing chain kit replacement will I need to buy the special tools and the timing TDC tool to hold it in place?

I have the Haynes repair manual but it doesn't mention much about a primary timing chain replacement only, it mentions all the procedures which call for engine removal and replacing ALL chains/parts BUT, Ford says I shouldn't have to pull the engine. I've changed many timing chains but never a ford sohc v6 OR newer vehicle (302's, Chevy 350's and a few Chevy 305's). Should I find TDC and use the tool?

HELP.................. ANY ideas OR thread links welcome.

Back