Fixing Timing Chain Rattle: Gaskets??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bcassidy04

Reaction score
City, State
canton, oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Bought a 2004 EXPLORER 4.0L V6 4WD about a week ago with a " loose pulley" turns out its the timing chain smh. So I've found a kit that includes all the pieces to change all of the chains, tensioners and guides for around $200. However I've been told that there's multiple gaskets that will need replaced after taking apart before put back together as well. I'd rather have all of the pieces before starting, so I've been searching but can't find a list of exactly which gaskets I'm going to need? Help???

Update: Started reading some other posts on here and am now doubting it being the timing chain. I've had 2 people look at it however neither were in a shop but do work on cars daily. It is coming from the front of the engine for sure, have already taken the belt off and it does still make the noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am doing them now.engine ran great just chain noise from the right rear. I removed the vlv covers and only the r/rear chain was loose. But after rotating the engine backwards, just a little. I felt something wrong.the Crank key was at 12:00 but the cam marks were off (not parallel to the head). So I pull the engine out. The primary tensioner had come apart. The lesson for me was you can't do the guides, cassettes whatever piece meal because it's too fragile and old. You have to pull out the motor,do the timing stuff and reseal the engine. If you want to have a reliable leak free vehicle. It's expensive to do the job with even cheap parts (cloyes). $500+ in stuff. gaskets,seals,orings, components that's why the junkyards are full of nice looking explorers and mountaineers.

Around how much to replace everything using Ford oem parts. Frt seal,rear main,frt timing cover seal water pump,upper and lower oil pan gsk,oil filter housing orings,all timing components that are expendable,valve cover seal, intake seals,frt ,rear Jack shaft bolts,frt pulley bolt.

Great advice from donalds.

Back