Hankook Optimo Discontinued | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hankook Optimo Discontinued

EmJay: Question for you on the Premier LTX - do you notice more road feel through the steering wheel? An almost buzzing sensation at higher speeds? It's not an out of balance condition - that's more of a thumping. This is a slight buzz that is transmitted from the tread up to the steering wheel; particularly on course road surfaces. Reminds me just a bit of running around in my Blizzak's in the winter. Another owner I know has the same tires on his 2012 and he, too, notices the same thing.

Aside from this annoying trait, I'm worried about their tread life. They come out at 9/32's new. Most are 12/32's. They look "worn" the day that I put them on. For a 60k tire, I am not sure they will make it. By next Saturday, I will have 5k on mine...

I will say that they are very quiet and they do perform well in the rain.

I was finally able to get out and put a few freeway miles on the new tires and didn't notice any unusual road noise or buzz. Being in Seattle, I have had ample opportunity to test their performance in the rain and they feel great.

I ended up taking mine off and traded them for Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus's in size 265/50/20 under Firestone's 30-day guarantee. The Michelin's had worn off 1/32nd in 4,000 miles. Keep in mind they come from the factory with 9/32nd's. At that clip, they would have been done at 40k as replacement occurs at 4/32nd's. Not good for what you pay for them. The final straw for me was the granular feeling the tread pattern transmitted through the steering wheel - felt like a snow tire. The Bridgestone's are slightly louder, but much smoother and ride as soft as the Michelin's did. Good luck!

Back