• Register Today It's free!

Hard steering

Mrriverajr

Reaction score
City, State
new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 X sport,04XLT
I driving home when all of a sudden my steering got really hard to turn. I checked the fluid and its full. There was no indication of any problems now I'm wondering if it is the pump or the rack and pinion..... I am gonna change the fluid to see if it helps. It is an 04 with 60000 miles on it.
Anyone have this happen to them? What did you do? Any write up on changing pump on an 2004 4.0l?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you still driving it? Did you check to make sure the serpentine belt didn't come off?

The belt is on

so I change the power steering pump and it is still doing the same thing. when I turn to the left it turns smooth when I turn to the right it's very hard. does anyone have any recommendations?

Probably need a new rack and pinion--Happened to a friend of mine a short time ago on his 02'

Damn, he had the same symptoms?

Needs rack

Any information on how to change a rack with pics on an 04 X

I changed out the Rack and Pinion and it drives like a charm!!!! Thanks for any tips given!!!

I changed out the Rack and Pinion and it drives like a charm!!!! Thanks for any tips given!!!

:thumbsup:

A bad rack will kick your butt every time. Did you change it yourself?

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a similar problem, and this came up on Search. Rather than starting a new thread, I'll add my questions here...

I have a 2004 4.0L 4x4 Explorer, 170,000 miles. For a few weeks now, the steering has become very difficult, especially when turning to the right at low speed (such as parking, or turning out of a street or driveway after stopping).

There are no strange noises, and the fluid level is fine. How do I diagnose whether this is a pump problem, or rack problem, or other?

Thanks.

Mike

Help, any ideas on where to start with diagnosing this?

Mike

Help, any ideas on where to start with diagnosing this?

Mike

Your issues sound very similar to the OP, so I would change the rack and pinion.

Rockauto.com is a good place to use for parts because their prices are usually better than most.

I hate part-swapping. Is there a diagnostic procedure to follow.

Mike

I don't generally go for the magic potions, but I'll give that a shot.

Mike

Tried the Lucas, not any better yet.

I had to drain the old fluid from the reservoir, and there was quite a bit of junk in there. Any ideas what that could be?

Mike

Anyone who's tried this, how long should it take for the Lucas fix to make an improvement?

Any other experts, what does black particles in the fluid reservoir indicate?

Thanks.

Mike

Back