Hard to start on Occasion?

MorganG

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 2dr
Hey guys, I am new here, just trying to help a friend out,

She has a 2000 2dr Auto Explorer with the 4.0 I am assuming. She has taken it the shop 2x and they have not been able to reproduce the problem and can't really offer her much other than bring it back next time it does it.

The problem is occasionally she will go to start the car (cold start) and it will crank but not start. If she gives it gas, full throttle, it may on occasion start but idling really rough and she cuts it off. Most of the time the car starts fine. They have checked her fuel system but as far as I know nothing on the car has been replaced. The check engine light comes on during the malfunction, but after she lets the car sit (half a day) it starts up with no problems and no check engine light.

As far I can tell from what she has told me there is not really a rhyme or reason to when this happens (aside from it being a cold start), its only on occasion, about 2-3 a week. Seems to happen on the weekends, when she actually wants to go somewhere and not work :)

I was just hoping maybe the masses would know, have seen this as a common problem, have had it happen themselves etc., any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks for the reply, I have done a good about of searching and looks like the ECT will be it. It usually is associated with the same symptoms, thanks for the reply.

If anyone has something to add im all ears (or eyes in this case) thanks - Morgan

Back