Harmonic Balancer? Mechanic Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Harmonic Balancer? Mechanic Question

mikeinri

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer, 94 XLT (RIP)
Hey,

Any Ford techs here that can help with this???

I've searched and didn't see anything that would really answer this.

I have a 2004 Explorer, 4.0L with 104,000 miles. The engine has been vibrating somewhat, but there are no other symptoms such as poor acceleration, skipping, etc.

When warm, the engine idles as low as 600 RPM. Not sure if that is normal, but at this idling speed, the vibration is most obvious (although still pretty slight). You can see the engine shaking a little, and you can feel a light vibration through the seat and steering wheel.

I changed the plugs and wires, no change.

I had the truck into the dealership for wheel bearing problems, and a Ford mechanic noticed the engine vibration, and said that I need a new harmonic balancer. I asked him why, and he said that since the engine is vibrating, and isn't missing, and there are no codes, he thinks I need a harmonic balancer. His main reason for this is that they recently had another truck with the same symptoms, and after replacing lots of other stuff, it came down to the harmonic balancer.

To me, that's just a bit too much guesswork for me to spend the money on this (several hundred dollars). My local mechanic (not a Ford tech) has the same truck with the same mileage and symptoms, and said he never heard of this problem and to leave it alone.

I need to know if this really is bad, because I've been told the crankshaft could snap if this part quits. I really can't afford to deal with that either.

What are the real symptoms of a bad harmonic balancer? The Ford guy told me to stick my finger into the crank pulley, and if I can feel the lead weight moving around, the part is bad. I tried this, and there is something moving slightly (still attached, but moves when you press it side to side).

Help, I'm totally stumped!!!

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe find one in a junkyard off a low mileage motor. Would be cheaper then new. Worth a try.

good luck.

ya, you might want to look at a junkyard or if you can get a new one to see if it does the same thing. Or compare with a known good one. Remove the belt and check for looseness, alignment with other pulleys. When i had to pull mine for a timing chain (years ago on an AMC) there was a bolt and key on the pulley and it had to be pulled off with a special puller. There was nothing lose at all on that good one.

Bad news, is i remember reading on this board year(s) or so where a crank pulley did 'walk off' the crank and destroyed the belt. The guy was dumbfounded as most readers where. I don't know for sure but i thought the pulley was pressed on the crankshaft? I'll have to check mine when i get home. It was somewhat visible in how the belt wore on the pulleys.

I too have changed plugs and wires only to find one of the NEW wires with open. It ran and all but just like you described. I doubled check the wires with an ohm meter and found it, but the old wire in its place. Also re-check the plugs and gaps, another time i remember finding plug with a closed electrode; i would up jacking up the plug on the install . .Also check where the wires plug in make sure they are seated properly.
hopefully some ideas that might help.

can you get any pics? might help or confuse us more.

Bad dampener?

I'm not very familiar with the 2004 engine but if your crankshaft dampener/harmonic balancer looks like the one shown below then it needs to be replaced.

HarmBalancer.jpg

On the third generation models there seems to be a tendency for the outer section to separate from the inner section. See this thread for more details: Harmonic balancer failure

The second photo is of my 2000 SOHC dampener.

Attachments

• Damper.jpg
    Damper.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,898

Thanks guys.

I really don't suspect anything with the ignition. There are no issues at all with acceleration, skipping/missing, etc. The old plugs looked fine when removed (other than really worn, wide gaps).

No one near me stocks these balancers, I'd have to special-order it. Which makes me even more suspect about this "diagnosis."

Mine does not appear to be separated in any way, but I haven't pulled the belt yet.

Are there any Ford mechanics here that have direct experience with this?

Mike

just had the exact symptoms you said,, checked mine and sure enough the weight is junk, and loose, 60 bux and the nearest yard with one is 70 miles away.
Mine also had a slight almost tapping noise as well.

NAPA has the balancer it is a doorman part 594-111. It is a different style that wont come apart like the factory part. This part should cost about 80 dollars.

Back